Beach Resorts in Nassau, Bahamas  » Travel  »
Bahamas’ island of New Providence in the Caribbean Islands
  • I was surprised to even find a Filipino restaurant where we enjoyed Filipino dishes at reasonable prices
  • I think it is more like a way of life in the Bahamas

• by RichieMogwai

My trip to the city of Nassau, in the Caribbean country of Bahamas is unforgettable. I went with my sister and my mother. The journey began in the city of Toronto in Canada, where we took the plane at the Pearson Airport en route to the Nassau International Airport. It was a three-hour trip by air, followed by a 20-minute trip by taxicab from the airport to downtown Bahamas which we found to be sparklingly clean. All three of us were so happy to have booked a great deal. The plane fare was only $500 per person return, although it did not include the hotel accommodation.

Luckily, we found a cheap, Italian villa style hotel downtown that fit us all in one room for just $100 a night.

We stayed for one week, although we found ourselves out of our hotel most of the time, except in the dead of the night.

Since I went with family members, I had no plans to sample the nightlife in the city of Nassau, which I hear to be wildly exciting. Miss Universe 2009 was held there recently, showing off the many wonderful facilities in this Caribbean Islands destination.

The highlight of the city of Nassau is of course, Paradise Island where the Atlantis Beach Resort is located. The Atlantis hotel is a sight to behold as a portion of it is submerged in a gigantic aquarium filled with exotic marine life such as sharks and graceful manta rays.

Now that is the glamor part of Nassau, but there are other not so glamorous parts ...

• of this most famous of Bahamas’ cities, which are equally enjoyable. Like the famous Straw Market at Nassau’s historic Bay Street, where street hawkers sell bargain souvenir items.

An affordable restaurant we went to was Conch Fritters, where we sampled local delicacies of conch, a variety of shellfish found in abundance in these islands. It was also my first encounter with Bahama Mama, Bahamas’ national drink. It’s rum mixed with fruit punch. Too much of it can beat you to a punch, before you know it!

I was surprised to find out when it was time to cash out our traveler’s checks that the conversion rate between the Bahamian dollar and the US dollar is one on one. This certainly made it easy for us.

I had fun buying souvenir items,

especially chatting with Bahamian market vendors who were so sweet and upbeat. I was surprised to even find a Filipino restaurant where we enjoyed Filipino dishes at reasonable prices. The restaurant was just behind the pier, where we contracted a speedboat operator to take us to Atlantis for only $100.

We spent the whole day at the Atlantis resort, enjoying the sun and the waters. Nassau’s white sands are distinctive for having a pinkish hue. But perhaps more importantly, this city’s beaches are all sparklingly clean, almost spotless. I have to commend Bahamian citizens for taking good care of their country.

I don’t think tourists like us had anything to do with the overall cleanliness of the city. I think it is more like a way of life in the Bahamas.

Carla Rossouw says :

re : I think it is more like a way of life in the Bahamas
    With so many crew members from the Philippines it doesn’t surprise me that you found a Filipino restaurant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38709825050630/k2311a097/9.7.09