Niagara Falls in the Canada-United States Border  » Travel  »
Niagara Peninsula, between New York State’s city of Buffalo and the Canadian province of Ontario
  • My modern sightings made me believe in a greater being, who alone could have carved such an amazing pageantry of nature
  • This is understandable when you consider that the falls tackle four million cubic feet of water every minute
  • I enjoyed having many barbecue parties in the Canadian side of the park, and also playing some outdoor games with my family on the grass
  • I remember the times when I found it difficult to move around such a big area because I always ended up bumping on a bunch of people
  • I suggest, however, to take the trip on a weekday, dodging the weekend or holidays

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

When I used to live in the city of Toronto in the province of Ontario in Canada, visiting Niagara Falls was a favorite past time week after week. It was just wonderful to be there. I never tired of beholding Horseshoe Falls, which was so majestic. My modern sightings made me believe in a greater being, who alone could have carved such an amazing pageantry of nature.

The aboriginal Indians who were first to settle in these parts felt the same way. When you say Niagara Falls, however, you are referring to three distinct falls. On the United States side, there is the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. On the Canadian side, there is majestic Horseshoe Falls, so-called owing to its shape.

What most people don’t know, though, is that these falls have been taking many different shapes and sizes

across the ages. This is understandable when you consider that the falls tackle four million cubic feet of water every minute. Unknown to the naked eye, the falls have even shifted to the south by 11 kilometers in the last few decades.

Yet I feel that no one can stop these natural occurrences, after all we’re dealing with nature here. Engineers can only do so much to stop the erosion. So I would like to take a glimpse of Niagara Falls whenever I could, after all, nobody knows for sure how long this natural spectacle will last, when you consider environmental factors the likes of global warming.

I enjoyed having many barbecue parties in the Canadian side of the park, and also playing some outdoor games with my family on the grass. Twice, I had the opportunity to visit the American side of the ...

• falls, by crossing the bridge to the city of Buffalo in neighboring New York State.

I was surprised to find out that the American side offered a closer, less protected view of the falls, you can actually touch the water in most parts. From this side, you could not see much of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, but I could see the mist hovering over it.

I was to find out that it was actually smog that had been there since non-stop commercialization got hold of the Canadian Falls. But such is life, sooner or later, something’s got to give right?

I guess we are all collectively to blame for the soiling of nature, but at the same time, a recreational area such as The Falls would not have developed adequately if not for the exponential influx of tourists. On a typical weekend here, no amount of

parking lot is enough, and the traffic could just be terrible especially on Canadian holidays when you can get stuck quite a way from the falls, along the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW).

I remember the times when I found it difficult to move around such a big area because I always ended up bumping on a bunch of people. But I will always treasure my trip to Ripley’s (Believe It Or Not) Museum, which was scary as it was fascinating.

Overall, I would recommend a trip to the Canadian Niagara Falls to everyone, let alone to view the majesty of the Horseshoe Falls. I suggest, however, to take the trip on a weekday, dodging the weekend or holidays. Otherwise, your effort to catch lots of fresh air would be counterproductive!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38709825040630/k2311a097/9.7.09