Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada  » Travel  »
End of West Pender Street, boundary of downtown Vancouver, province of British Columbia, Canada
  • Before being here, I thought the city of Chicago had the longest waterfront walkway—I was wrong

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Stanley Park is one of the reasons I fell in love with the city of Vancouver, a scenic city on the Western part of Canada. I first caught glimpse of the park when I first flew to Vancouver from the city of Toronto in 2003.

Stanley Park is a natural conservation area, which is over 400 hectares. The first thing I did upon setting foot on the park was to rent a bike to go around the area. I had a great exercise, and I cooled down several times in one of the park’s beaches by just dipping my tired, sweaty feet in the water.

Would you

believe that there are trees in Stanley Park, which are one thousand to three thousand years old? I find this so amazing. Add to that the fact that before it was established as a park in 1888, it was home to aboriginal Indian tribes. British Captain George Vancouver, from whom the city was named after, had his first meeting with the natives here in 1791.

Stanley Park is much bigger than New York’s Central Park. It has beaches, totem poles, shops, restaurants, an auditorium, and an outdoor stadium. It’s pretty much a community by itself, except that you can’t live here.

At the most, you ...

• can sleep in one of the park benches on a cool summer’s day. Most Vancouver residents and even tourists, though, love to walk, jog, skateboard, or roller blade the park’s waterfront walkway, the longest in the world and uninterrupted at that. Before being here, I thought the city of Chicago had the longest waterfront walkway—I was wrong!

In summer you can take a tourist bus for free, which takes you to all the major areas, most notable of which is Prospect Point, which is the highest elevation in Stanley Park. It’s such a great view from there, seeing all the waters, trees, the mountains, and

my personal favorite—the historic Lions Gate Bridge.

In a few occasions, I had crossed the bridge on foot from Stanley Park to get to and from West Vancouver. It’s quite a way to get an exercise, but I need just this kind of physical exertion every now and then since I do most of my work sitting.

I never tire of visiting Stanley Park, if only to pay homage to the majestic trees which are safe from the lumber industry for now. Any one visiting Vancouver should never miss this very important and very scenic landmark.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38709825030630/k2311a097/9.7.09