White Rock Beaches in British Columbia, Canada  » Travel  »
Marine Drive at Martin Street, city of White Rock, province of British Columbia in Canada
  • I love going to White Rock’s famous beaches here in British Columbia province of Canada
  • I am planning to relocate here so that I can be more inspired in my writings, but I find that a room for rent facing the beach can cost me as much as $700 a month
  • I thought it was a meteor, but my closer inspection reveals that it's actually a boulder made by the natural movement of glaciers

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I love going to White Rock’s famous beaches here in British Columbia province of Canada. First, the beaches are very accessible. From the Sky Train station in Surrey, another city in British Columbia, I just have to take bus number 321, which goes to White Rock Center. From the center, I just have to take the C51 or the C52 community bus which takes me right in front of the beaches. The whole trip only takes a little over an hour.

There are four White Rock beaches to choose from: West beach, East beach, Crescent beach, and Crescent Rock Naturist beach. All these beaches are wonderful, but my personal favorite is West beach because it is long and has a nice brick-laid promenade area marked by a panoramic pier in the middle.

The West Beach also has a lot of sand on its other side. It’s just breathtaking to see all the

sprawling sand, the ocean view and the horizon. I have been to many beaches in the Pacific, and I wonder why I had to take the plane to get to one. After having discovered one of British Columbia’s best-kept secrets, I only need to take a one-hour bus ride to get to one of the most wonderful beaches in the world.

White Rock’s beaches to me are pretty much like Los Angeles’ famous Long Beach or Laguna Beach. They have the same vistas, and there are also lots of restaurants and shops to go by.

White Rock’s beaches, however, are less crowded, especially on the weekdays and when there are no concerts in the waterfront. There are also many park benches to sit on, grassy areas to put the picnic blanket on, and washed out logs, too.

Out in the lovely pier festooned with arches which light up at night, you can sit on the benches to take in ...

• more wind and oxygen. It’s also where most teenagers love to take the boat cruise or just to take a hot summer day’s dive. This spot is also perfect for catching crabs. If you follow the rules, such as not using a spear or not catching female crabs, you can get away with a few free crabs for dinner.

These crabs are so tasty, I never tire of eating them. When I am not eating or enjoying the view, I usually sit on one of the park benches with concrete tables to catch up on my writing. Laptop in tow, I might even catch an unsecured wireless Internet connection with which to check my email.

I am planning to relocate here so that I can be more inspired in my writings, but I find that a room for rent facing the beach can cost me as much as $700 a month. One White Rock homeowner

offered me a room for $400 a month, but it’s eight blocks away from the beaches.

Anyway, I am just content for now to drop by White Rock’s beaches whenever I can by bus. After all, it’s not too long a trip.

White Rock is more than a town or a city, it’s a resort destination for tourists who get lucky enough to discover this secret. It is also a retirement residence for many Canadian senior citizens who can afford it.

I almost forgot to tell you that White Rock got its name from a white rock that got caught in the beach 11,000 years ago. I thought it was a meteor, but my closer inspection reveals that it’s actually a boulder made by the natural movement of glaciers. So don’t forget to see this white rock when you come visiting here!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38709825020630/k2311a097/9.7.09