Radio Shack Weather Alert and Police Scanner Radio  » Electronics  »
  • It's so interesting to her police calls as well as ambulance calls in my own neighborhood
  • It is simply amazing to me that we have this technology right in our own home
  • I like to hear whats going on with the local traffic too
  • I love this Radio Shack Weather Alert radio and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to keep up with weather alerts and who is interested in their local police and fire department activities

• by mom1

The Radio Shack Weather Alert Police Scanner Radio is on all the time at our house. I got this as a birthday gift and I never shut it off. It has a weather band, police and fire band, marine band and air traffic control band. I use it most for the Police and Fire Department channels.

It is very easy to use. You first have to program the frequency code to each police and fire department that you want to listen to. After you have entered in the frequency code of each town’s fire and police department you just press the scan button, and the calls come in to the various police and fire departments, you hear them on your scanner.

Now you don’t actually hear the caller who called the fire or police department, you hear the radio dispatcher dispatching the actual police and fire vehicles to the locations that they are needed. It’s so interesting to her police calls as well as ambulance calls in my own neighborhood. Sometimes it’s even scary to hear what goes

on.

It’s especially interesting to hear what’s going on during certain times of the year like the fourth of July with the many fireworks complaints or Halloween with the many pranksters that are out. I hear when accidents occur and even when a dog is on the loose! On rare occasions I have even heard a police car dispatched to my own neighbor’s house. The Radio Shack Weather Alert Radio and Police Scanner also keeps my family informed in the event of severe weather.

Now, I have to say that I am a weather junkie and I watch the Weather Channel on television all the time. When the weather starts to take a turn, I’m either watching the Weather Channel or I turn my Radio Shack Weather Alert Radio on and press the weather button to turn from police and fire calls to the weather band and to hear sever weather alerts. This radio give you specific information on severe weather and it even gives you the precise time that a storm will be hitting your area.

...

• It tells you that at 5:45 the storm will be in such and such town and then by 6:04 the storm will be moving east to such and such town and buy 6:22 it will be in this town. It is simply amazing to me that we have this technology right in our own home. It’s kind of funny, because when I have my radio turned on to the police and fire band and I hear calls from my hometown, it’s hard to put a face to the dispatcher’s voice that I hear on the radio.

But, one time when I went to my local village hall to pay my water bill, right across the hall was the police department and through the glass I could see the dispatcher that I hear every day on my Radio Shack Weather Alert and Police Scanner Radio. It was a little odd to see him because I had pictured him to look totally different than he did. His voice did not fit what I expected him to look like.

I like to

hear whats going on with the local traffic too. If there is a traffic accident then I will hear about it on the scanner. This helps if I’m going out so that I can take a different route if traffic is backed up or if a street is blocked off for some reason.

I have even learned some police lingo and codes by listening to the police scanner band. It’s funny what you can pick up just by listening to this radio. I have a new respect for 911 dispatchers since owning this police and fire scanner because some of the calls can get pretty intense and they keep their cool and remain very professional.

They calmly dispatch the fire and police units and never lose patience or get riled up. This is extremely important when you are dispatching police and fire units to an emergency situation. I love this Radio Shack Weather Alert radio and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to keep up with weather alerts and who is interested in their local police and fire department activities.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16509824071030/k2311a095/9.5.09