On The Go “King Tutankhamen” Tour to Egypt  » Travel  »
  • A place that might not be first on someone’s list to travel (but should definitely be given a second look at) is Egypt
  • It can now say that I consider it one of the top trips I’ve gone on thus far in my life (and I’ve been to 18 countries
  • I found the ancient ruins fascinating, but thought it was odd how close they were to the hustle and bustle of the Aladdin-like city
  • After visiting some beautiful temple architecture, on the fourth and fifth days we had the unique and interesting experience of cruising the river Nile on a traditional felucca sailboat – even sleeping out under the stars on it

• by anettgen

A place that might not be first on someone’s list to travel (but should definitely be given a second look at) is Egypt. My husband and I went there in May 2008 via the “King Tutankhamen” tour offered by the travel company, On The Go (onthegotours.com). It can now say that I consider it one of the top trips I’ve gone on thus far in my life (and I’ve been to 18 countries!).

When selecting a group tour to go on, the most important thing I look for is a good itinerary. On The Go’s King Tut trip was not just stellar on paper, but actually exceeded my expectations

when the proposed activities occurred. This is because so many surprise events happened, from getting the chance to hold a lion cub and smoke a hooka at a hotel rest stop, to receiving free T-shirts detailing our vacation.

The first full day we were there, we got to visit the breathtaking Pyramids and Sphinx. I found the ancient ruins fascinating, but thought it was odd how close they were to the hustle and bustle of the Aladdin-like city. The Sphinx, also, was a lot smaller than I had imagined it would be.

It’s not worth it to try to go inside the one Pyramid that’s open ...

• to the public, as I found it very crowded and stuffy and not much to see in there. Do opt to ride a camel, though, so long as doing so is your kind of thing; we found that to be a memorable and funny experience.

After visiting some beautiful temple architecture, on the fourth and fifth days we had the unique and interesting experience of cruising the river Nile on a traditional felucca sailboat – even sleeping out under the stars on it! Not only was it relaxing being stretched out in the sun, but we had fun playing traditional Egyptian card games with people on board and made stops

to throw a bonfire party and get henna tattoos (something I was excited about because I had never had one). Our hilarious tour guide even encouraged travelers to jump in the Nile for a swim – of which we did partake!

The only real bad parts of the trip were having to sleep on an uncomfortable seater train twice and paying about a thousand extra dollars in entrance fees and whatever else when we were on the trip. In total, it was approximately $4,500 for airfare and everything for two people for nine days, which I don’t think is bad considering the remarkable time we had and the lasting memories that will ensue.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38409823330230/k2311a094/9.4.09