Becoming Jane movie
  • I found this movie particularly moving because it so sadly, yet pretty accurately, relates how difficult a life Jane Austen really led
  • If you're looking for a way to spend an afternoon that might require some tissue, some laughter and some general information gathering (I learned a lot of things about Jane Austen form this movie that I didn't know were accurate until I later did research) then this is the movie for you

• by Nikki Hanna

Becoming Jane is the 2007 release starring Ann Hathaway and James McAvoy and is a movie about the life and times of writer Jane Austen, who produced prestigious works such as Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice.

I found this movie particularly moving because it so sadly, yet pretty accurately, relates how difficult a life Jane Austen really led. She was destitute for all of her life, and never married when her one true love (led by

James McAvoy) was married off to someone more to his “station” in life. Apparently, he always loved her and even named his child after her, and you can see the truth of this in the movie as the two leading characters interact with each other.

This movie, though not glaringly action-packed like most Hollywood blockbusters, is chalk-full of drama and real-life circumstances, and even some wit and humor thrown in for good measure. If you’re looking for a ...

• way to spend an afternoon that might require some tissue, some laughter and some general information gathering (I learned a lot of things about Jane Austen form this movie that I didn’t know were accurate until I later did research) then this is the movie for you. I actually DID cry during this movie, and because I was so touched by the story of this famous woman, I was, indeed, compelled to research her life and times and
        see how it compared to the movie. Surprisingly, it was relatively accurate. Of course, they took some creative liberties with the storyline between Jane and her lover (which was never completely proven in real life), it’s still plain to see that this movie can touch anyone (even my hard-core husband who would dare watch a “chick flick”…. until I made him watch this and he begrudgingly admitted he liked it). So, go out, rent this movie, and enjoy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11409822840130/k2311a094/9.4.09