My Bloody Valentine (1981)  » Movies  »
  • The filmmakers behind My Bloody Valentine have managed to successfully come up with an interesting character who is easily distinguishable from the horror icons that already exist

• by Stephen Filippelli

Starring: Paul Kelman, Lori Hallier, Neil Affleck, Keith Knight, Alf Humphreys, Cynthia Dale, Helene Udy, Rob Stein, Thomas Kovacs, Terry Waterland, Carl Marotte, Jim Murchison, Gina Dick, Peter Cowper, Don Francks, Patricia Hamilton, Larry Reynolds, Jack Van Evera, and Jeff Banks.

Directed by: George Mihalka.

I had no idea of this film’s existence until I watched its remake in 3-D earlier this year. The original version of My Bloody Valentine was released during the slasher horror film craze during the late 1970s and early

1980s along with classics like Halloween (1978), Friday the 13th (1980), and Prom Night (1980).

The filmmakers behind My Bloody Valentine have managed to successfully come up with an interesting character who is easily distinguishable from the horror icons that already exist. Aside from Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Leatherface, and Freddy Kruger, there’s Harry Warden from My Bloody Valentine - A crazed psychopath decked out in miner gear, a gas mask, and armed with a pick axe.

I would have to say that ...

• the original film’s special effects are just as good as that of the remake’s with the exception of the 3-D technology which I might add was somewhat sparingly used (It could have been a lot more than what it was). The story also follows along the similar path however the love triangle subplot in the original is done much more effectively than it was in the remake. We’re also treated to a far more entertaining mine shaft finale here as well.

Apparently, My

Bloody Valentine was due for a proposed sequel that visited the surviving characters and involved turning the haunted mine shaft into a fairground theme park ride where a new massacre would take place (since the villain gets away at the end of the original). But with the release of the 2009 remake of My Bloody Valentine, the sequel idea went to scraps. However, the killer did actually survive in the remake so who knows, maybe all hope is not lost after all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11309822360830/k2311a093/9.3.09