Carnivalia  » Business  »
1437 N Broadway, Walnut Creek CA
  • I definitely plan on purchasing from them again in the future because I always get the wonderful sensation of owning a piece of original (if not exactly ordinary) art

• by Nikki Hanna

I have long been a collector of avant garde art and strange artifacts with an occult or pagan theme. It wouldn’t be a surprising thing to enter my house and see wax skulls, ouija boards and other such items, but with an artistic flair somehow attached. About a year ago, I was researching some possible business that might offer these kinds of items, and came across Carnivalia in my search. They are a home-based artistic business that houses the artists Chas Bogan and Storm Faerywolf (artistic names, no doubt) who create items of an occult nature. These can include ouija boards, altar tools, altars themselves, general wall art, hats, books and other houseware items. Since my husband and I just purchased and moved into a new condominium that was painted brightly and was just begging for wall art, I was on

the hunt for something unique to hang on my wall. And, because of my personal religious preferences and oddities, I wanted something with a certain “strangeness” about it that was still attractive and fun to look at. Basically, I wanted the perfect conversation piece.

While looking through their products, I ran across a series of Ouija boards that were absolutely gorgeous. These boards were constructed of solid wood, and were hand-painted with various designs. I purchased the “In Death’s Garden” Ouija board, which featured this wonderfully childlike and whimsical “death” character, in a beautiful garden of flowers. The typical letters and numbers associated with the ouija board were added in just the write way to keep with the theme of the artwork. It wasn’t that expensive for the board, at $60, which came signed and numbered on the back, and with ...

• a matching flower planchette. I certainly haven’t used the board… it simply sits on my wall as wonderful decoration. In fact, you can hardly tell it’s a ouija board at all. Visitors are constantly surprised that it wasn’t actually intended to be art.

The board is very well made and is covered with many layers of protective varnish. We’ve had it for many years now and it has aquired no damage at all, not even a slight discoloration that often accompanies artwork. It even came with a signed letter of authenticity which, as an art collector, just tickled me pink and I couldn’t have been happier.

My second purchase with them was one of their masks. It was called the Schnoz Swirl and is just as stunning on my wall as the ouija board. It was hand-crafted from clay, fired and

then painted by one of the two artists listed above. Though they can do the same design many times, you know you are getting something unique each time you order from them because you know it’s done by hand. The only exception is their paintings, such as with the ouija boards, in which the pictures are printed on the wood and then varnished.

I definitely plan on purchasing from them again in the future because I always get the wonderful sensation of owning a piece of original (if not exactly ordinary) art. And really, who wants their art to be ordinary? If you are looking for a piece of art that is also functional in a multitude of ways, I highly suggest you check out this business and see for yourself the quality of their workmanship, and the professionalism they have as a business.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41309822250830/k2311a093/9.3.09