Dr. Scholl’s Tri Comfort Orthotics  » Health  »
1.0
  • I even hit several other stores to try to find it better priced, but was disappointed to see that the $13 was generally the price I'd find anywhere
  • Since I'm on my feet for an average of 7 hours a day, I definitely needed something that was comfortable and STAYED comfortable
  • Then I decided to try a store-brand version of these orthotics
  • For five dollars less a pair, I found the store-brand versions were actually more comfortable
  • All in all, unless you're willing to pay $80 or more for the inserts your doctor would recommend, I'd say just deal with the non-supportive shoes you have and the pain that accompanies them, because you're just wasting your $13 to get Dr. Scholl inserts

• by Nikki Hanna

I was recently sent to the doctor because I was experiencing a high level of lower back pain due to nerve damage I experienced at work lifting heavy boxes in a repetative fashion, and going up and down ladders. After an extensive visit with my doctor, he suggested that I begin wearing orthotics with my shoes. Because I cannot wear tennis shoes at work, or other shoes with arch support (or any support for that matter), he recommended I try a Dr. Scholl’s insert to help alleviate some of the discomfort. I always hated the idea of wearing orthotics, because it made me feel… well… old, but so long as I could continue wearing fashionable shoes (I work at a shoe store after all), I was willing to give anything a shot.

I immediately went home and searched the Dr. Scholl’s website

to determine what they recommended to relief lower back pain. The tri-comfort was one of two items listed, so I headed to the nearest pharamcy in search of it. I was very disconcerted to discover that the orthotics were highly priced at around $13 a pair. That seemed a little excesive, since they don’t last forever. They can get smelly and dirty just like any insert in a shoe and can’t be washed because of the rubber in it’s makeup. I even hit several other stores to try to find it better priced, but was disappointed to see that the $13 was generally the price I’d find anywhere. I broke down and gave it a shot.

I wore it the first day and though they felt very comfortable when I first put them in my shoes, discovered they got very UNcomfortable throughout ...

• the day. Since I’m on my feet for an average of 7 hours a day, I definitely needed something that was comfortable and STAYED comfortable. Oddly enough, considering it’s an arch support, my arch was the first thing that started hurting while using these orthotics. I was getting sharp pains in my arch into the second hour using these inserts. Not a very pleased employee was I, let me tell you. But, I persevered, thinking I just needed to give them time and give my feet time to adjust to the shape of them, verses the non-supportive shape of most shoes. So, I wore them for five days straight and never once found them comfortable beyond the very first five minutes of trying them out. In fact, my back pain seemed to have increased over that week of trying them out. This
        didn’t bode well for the product.

I took them out, and tried them in a different pair of shoes, and wore them for another week, just to come to the same sad conclusion. Then I decided to try a store-brand version of these orthotics. For five dollars less a pair, I found the store-brand versions were actually more comfortable. Though I didn’t see a marked improvement in back pain with either the Dr. Scholl’s or the store-brand version, at least the store brand wasn’t uncomfortable on my feet and didn’t cause the piercing pains in my arch.

All in all, unless you’re willing to pay $80 or more for the inserts your doctor would recommend, I’d say just deal with the non-supportive shoes you have and the pain that accompanies them, because you’re just wasting your $13 to get Dr. Scholl inserts.

hassan says :

what are the sizes available in tri comfort soles . my six se is 8 british wat sizes corresponds to american sizes ??

Jules Li says :

These are available in sizes 8-12 for men and 6-10 for women. A size 8 in British would equal a 6 in US.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34309821730730/k2311a093/9.3.09