The Berlin Wall  » Travel  »
Niederkirchnerstrasse Berlin, Germany
  • There are countless guided tours through this area and the museum and the memorial, but in my opinion, you can see a lot on your own

• by Jessie Bahrey

For history buffs, and anyone visiting Germany, The Berlin Wall is a must-see attraction, and one of the most famous barriers in the world. After World War II, this concrete and wire wall was erected to divide Communist East Germany and Democratic West Germany, and it remained in place until 1989, when Communism ended. For a history lover like I am, even though we were in Berlin for only one day, I needed to see this famous and iconic symbol of freedom and tourist attractions.

We took a taxi to the original sight of the wall, near Potsdamer Square and Checkpoint

Charlie, and I was a bit surprised to see that not much is left at this location, although pieces of the original wall are all over the city, and in museums (and I suspect peoples’ homes) throughout Europe. What is left has been badly damaged by people seeking souvenirs over the years and there is graffiti covering a large portion of the wall. There is a line in Potsdamer Square that shows the exact location of the original wall. I had wanted to see the original site, and well as Checkpoint Charlie, but one could find bits and pieces in ...

• many other spots as well. There is an outdoor photo and art exhibit that shows the history of the Nazis through to the fall of the Wall, and near to the checkpoint there is also a very moving memorial to the many people who were killed trying to get over the wall. I was very emotional, and I had not expected to be after so many years of the wall coming down in the ultimate act of freedom. Seeing people from all over the world gazing solemnly at this site moved me to tears. The Berlin Wall is a moving
        and important site to see while in Germany.

There are countless guided tours through this area and the museum and the memorial, but in my opinion, you can see a lot on your own.

The entrance fee to the Berlin Wall Museum is 13 euro each, and the hours of operation were daily 10am-5pm when we were there. To walk along the wall in Potsdamer Square and view the outdoor exhibition is free.

The subway and public buses all have stops or stations near Potsdamer Platz, and anyone in the city can point out the direction to you if you are walking.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38209820251130/k2311a092/9.2.09