Hansel & Gretel  » Movies  »
  • While definitely not a kids movie (and a bit scary at times for younger children), this turned out to be a movie everyone in my house enjoyed

• by Steve

I wanted a movie my entire family could watch last night and ended up loading Hansel & Gretel on my Netflix player. While definitely not a kids movie (and a bit scary at times for younger children), this turned out to be a movie everyone in my house enjoyed.

The movie

is really a loose interpretation of the Hansel & Gretel story.

A widowed dad reads a mysterious book to his kids that happens to be Hansel & Gretel.

However, there are a few more twists than you would normally hear.

For one, they get help from the Sand Man (Howie Mandel) ...

• and a wood fairy.

And, along with the evil witch in the Ginger Bread house, they also have to survive the bogey man, an ogre and their wicked step mother.

Even though she didn’t have a starring role in this movie, I have to applaud Dakota Fanning as the daughter.

Her

character (a young girl who is scared of just about everything imaginable, including sheep) is very likeable.

I especially like how she spoofed one of her famous lines “I see Dead People” by saying “I see Fairy Tale People.

” It’s not a great movie but it is definitely one that is entertaining enough to watch at least once.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11209820161130/k2311a092/9.2.09