Our Family Baked Beans  » Food  »
2.5
  • The lack of thickness wasn’t the only problem
  • I did save about $1 on the can (even with the Bush’s brand being on sale) so I got what I paid for
  • But, I think I’ll be looking for a different brand the next time I’m trying to save money with a generic equivalent

• by Steve

I picked up a chicken dinner from one of the local grocery stores last night. And, since I didn’t want to pay deli prices on side dishes, I went to the actual grocery section to pick up a can of baked beans.

Normally, I would get Bush’s baked beans.

But, the chicken was more expensive than I expected

so I tried to reduce my overall price on dinner by buying the generic equivalent.

In this case, it was the Our Family brand.

I have purchased generic brands in the past and, for the most part, have been happy.

But, I have to say there was a slight difference between the Our Family brand and the better ...

• known Bush’s brand.

For one, they were much more watery than the more expensive brand.

When I put them in the dish (I was microwaving them) it was almost as though it was some sort of bean soup.

And, that water didn’t cook out as well as I would have liked.

The lack of thickness wasn’t the only

problem.

The beans didn’t have the same taste as the more expensive brand and were much more bland.

I did save about $1 on the can (even with the Bush’s brand being on sale) so I got what I paid for.

But, I think I’ll be looking for a different brand the next time I’m trying to save money with a generic equivalent.

Our Family Baked Beans

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27209820121130/k2311a092/9.2.09