Special Kitty Silicon Cat Litter  » Pets  »
2.5
  • Being rather expensive for cat litter (about $20 Canadian), I thought that it would have to be something unique
  • I actually found myself pretty much just waiting for the cat to do her business so that I could scoop immediately, and walking in the door after work was never a pleasant experience
  • I think that Special Kitty silicon pellets would be successful if the cat felt inclined to bury its mess, but unless that is the case, it’s really not that pleasant to work with

• by Mleigh

I’ve been a somewhat fan of Special Kitty products since I got my first cat, Map. I have found the food to be reasonably priced, the cat doesn’t mind it, and there hasn’t been any massive weight gain on the cat’s part. It seemed okay, so when I saw that Special Kitty also made cat litter, my interest was piqued.

The cat litter came in two forms that I saw: The typical clumping cat litter, and the silicon pellets. I started with the regular clumping cat litter, because that’s what I had always used, but found that it made my entire apartment smell like wet cat

feces.

Needless to say, I was very unimpressed. That’s when I started looking at the silicon pellets.

Being rather expensive for cat litter (about $20 Canadian), I thought that it would have to be something unique. The label on the tub said that the tub of litter would be good for up to one month with a single cat, and that’s pretty much what sold me.

No mess, no urine, no little bits of cat litter everywhere… It seemed like a pretty good deal, so I shelled out the dough and brought the silicon litter home. The cat didn’t seem to mind it, and there ...

• was indeed less tracking of the cat litter all over, which made me happy.

It really wasn’t until the first time when the cat went number two that I saw a possible con to this wonderful cat litter. Since the silicon pellets are fairly large, my cat was apparently less compelled to bury her mess, and so just left it sitting on top of the litter.

Pretty soon my entire apartment smelled like cat process number two, and it was just awful. I actually found myself pretty much just waiting for the cat to do her business so that I could scoop immediately, and walking in

the door after work was never a pleasant experience.

Since then I have switched back over to regular clumping litter. The expense and lack of odor control with the silicon pellets just wasn’t worth it to me.

I think that Special Kitty silicon pellets would be successful if the cat felt inclined to bury its mess, but unless that is the case, it’s really not that pleasant to work with. I also found that the tub would last only two weeks, which again made me feel like it wasn’t worth the extra money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 293108818131031/k2311a0831/8.31.09