Law and Order: Special Victims Unit “Payback” Episode
  • One of the Law and Order SVU episodes I found the most controversial in terms of my moral beliefs was the episode entitled Payback

• by Redtape

One of the Law and Order SVU episodes I found the most controversial in terms of my moral beliefs was the episode entitled “Payback”. It is the first episode in season one and despite the fact that there are about nine or so seasons of Law and Order SVU, I still see that particular episode being aired from time to time especially on the cable television channel USA. The “Payback” episode had everything which made Law and Order SVU a hit series. There was the well written script and well designed plot which was part of what would keep me on my seat till the end of the episode. There was

also the good acting, which at the time I first watched Law and Order: SVU I did not expect from actors who were not very popular. WHat was so controversial to me about that particular episode was the plot. It raised the question as to whether everyone should get equal justice, or there should be exceptions based on who the person was. It also raised the questions as to whether the AMerican laws and justice system are flawed or not.

FOr example, the episode “Payback” is about a murder investigation which is being conducted whereas a man was found castrated and murdered in the front of a taxi cab. Detective Olivia ...

• Benson and Elliot Stabler are put on the case, and they soon find out that the man who was murdered was not just any taxt driver, but a former Serbian soldier, rapist and murderer. Thus, soon after their main suspects become two women who were terrorised by him before they came to the United States. The controversy in it now, comes when Olivia knows that the two women, one of whom was brutally raped by the man murdered him, but she is afraid to arrest or turn them in because she was a child of rape and she knew the effect it had on her mother. WHile I was watching it
        too, I also found myself on the side of the two murderers since I could see based on their stories and actions that the man was a monster and I have a special hatred for rapists. In the end, Olivia eventually had to turn the two women in, but one of them killed herself before the police could take her and the other managed to fool the law and escape without a prison sentence.

This episode is not for everyone, especially those who have a special hatred for monsters like that. However, prompt us, the audience, whether AMerican citizens or simply just citizens of a country to question whether the law really is just.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 103108817440831/k2311a0831/8.31.09