Hand crank music box  » Shopping  »
Chinese Cultural Museum’s Souvenir Shop, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
  • This is a gift that I bought for a friend as a souvenir when I went to Hong Kong
  • I cannot quite describe this weird feeling but I like it
  • I think if you visit Japan, they have shops JUST for hand crank music boxes where you can customize your own tunes and what not

• by shiro_manjuu
      This is a gift that I bought for a friend as a souvenir when I went to Hong Kong. It is extremely small; it sits on my palm with spare space. I got this at the souvenir shop at one of the many museums by Tsim Sha Tsui.

I really like how I can turn the crank on my own. This must be weird of me because from what I’ve

heard, people usually prefer music boxes that open up and plays on its own.

However I find it strangely satisfying to be able to turn it on your own and have it play at the speed you’re turning it. I cannot quite describe this weird feeling but I like it.

Besides, EVERYONE has a self-playing music box. A hand crank one is not something you always see, that’s what makes ...

• it unique.

I think if you visit Japan, they have shops JUST for hand crank music boxes where you can customize your own tunes and what not. I am not fortunate enough to go to such a shop.

I had to choose from the limited tunes that they have. They’re all english songs.

I didn’t exactly like this because I was hoping to find a whole varietly of songs from

other ethnicities. Afterall, I AM in a CULTURAL museum.

The weird thing about the music box was - if you’re turning it when you’re holding the box (say in midair), the sound comes out very faint. But if you put it on a flat surface such as a table, the sound comes out extremely clear.

Although a hand crank music box is somewhat “old fashioned”, I think it certainly makes a nice gift for anyone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 24140881520131/k2311a0814/8.14.06