Green Day - 39/Smooth  » Music  »
2.5
  • For the most part, with one exception, the album is pretty much punk rock from start to finish and although it isn’t technically challenging or musically brilliant – some of the songs do have some strong songwriting behind them and definitely leave me hopeful for Armstrong to develop
  • Nowhere near being their best work, but this album did have a few tracks on here that I enjoyed quite a bit and definitely made it clear that this band was something to watch out for
  • The vocal harmonies in this song are a nice touch though, probably the best aspect of the song in my opinion
  • Don’t Leave Me – Don’t Leave Me has a much catchier vocal melody than At The Library and Armstrong just seems to sound a lot better vocally on this track in my opinion, although there’s probably little difference in reality
  • These little variations and surprises in their arrangements really work in the band’s advantage and I only wish they would’ve done this more on this album, but they did fix this problem with their later works

• by Grimmy101

Overview – 39/Smooth, Green Day’s debut album, introduces the band and showcases their sort of raw and aggressive punk sound. Though I personally find the album is just decent for the most part, the band honestly does show me quite a bit of potential from this album and the way that the three: Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and TrÈ Cool fit together on some of these songs is just great. For the most part, with one exception, the album is pretty much punk rock from start to finish and although it isn’t technically challenging or musically brilliant – some of the songs do have some strong songwriting behind them and definitely leave me hopeful for Armstrong to develop. Nowhere near being their best work, but this album did have a few tracks on here that I enjoyed quite a bit and definitely made it clear that this band was something to watch out for.

The Tracks –

1. At The Library – Well to start off, I’d have to say that there really isn’t any one specific thing about this song which really catches my attention all that much. Being more accustomed to Green Day’s more recent work, Armstrong’s voice is quite a contrast here compared to their more recent records. At The Library is pretty much just sort of a raw and energetic track, which I have a feeling that the majority of this album will be, and although I don’t think it has anything extremely great about it, it doesn’t have a major flaw to it either. The vocal harmonies in this song are a nice touch though, probably the best aspect of the song in my opinion.

2. Don’t Leave Me – Don’t Leave Me has a much catchier vocal melody than At The Library and Armstrong just seems to sound a lot better vocally on this track in my opinion, although there’s probably little difference in reality. This song is also a bit of a raw track just packed with energy, as I described the previous track, but I really enjoy this

song a lot more than the opening song and it definitely flows nicely. Vocal harmonies work nicely once again and overall this song is just a better track the one before it, getting better.

3. I Was There – I Was There is sort of like At The Library in my opinion as far as just how good I feel the song is. The song is nowhere near as catchy or has as effective of a vocal melody as Don’t Leave Me has, but the song still isn’t terrible. One thing that is nice about this track is that it actually features Armstrong’s first guitar solo on the record which is quite a bit better than his solos on the more recent records, which generally copy the vocal melody. So the vocal harmonies in this song work well for the band once more and the guitar solo was a nice touch, pretty average for the most part though.

4. Disappearing Boy – I’d say Disappearing Boy is slightly better than the previous track and the opening track, although not quite as good as Don’t Leave Me. Armstrong’s voice just sounds so different to me on this song, well the whole album really, compared to their more recent albums that it’s a bit strange to listen to at some points. The reason why I think this song is a bit better than two others so far is because the vocal melody is pretty effective and they also slow the song down towards the middle for a bit more of a melodic section, it’s just a nice change from the stereotypical song arrangement they’ve been using on the previous songs, alright song but not that good.

5. Green Day – Green Day is actually pretty cool instrumentally, or at least the first few bits of the song, but Armstrong’s vocal melody honestly doesn’t do too much for me here. It’s not terrible but I just feel that the music behind him had a lot more potential than what this song actually produced and it seemed like the track just could’ve ...

• been improved in my opinion. Dirnt has a pretty interesting bass part during the start of this song and Cool has some driving drumming throughout the track. Not a bad song, but it could’ve been better in my opinion.

6. Going To Pasalacqua - Going to Pasalacqua definitely has the best vocal melody on the album so far in my opinion and the way the song works together is excellent. Armstrong might just be sounding better on this track or I might just be getting used to his vocal tone, but no matter what the reason – he sounds great on this song. While the previous songs on here may have been okay and decent, this along with Don’t Leave Me are really the only two songs on here that I’d say are quite good, although this has definitely been the best so far. Dirnt also has a very nice bass tone on this song along with a great line to go along with it, very good song, probably my favorite of the entire album.

7. 16 – As good as I thought the previous song was, I’m not a huge fan of 16 right now. I guess the song isn’t actually that bad in reality and probably matches up with just about all the other songs on this album, aside from Going to Pasalacqua and Don’t Leave Me, but after following Going To Pasalacqua it probably just seems more disappointing than what it actually is in reality. I’m not sure but to me it seems like the main problem with this album is that the songs just lack character to them and they just sound too similar to each other on here, with a few exceptions. Decent work I suppose though.

8. Road To Acceptance – I’m not sure if it’s just me here, but to me it sounds like Armstrong is starting to sound less and less like himself and it really doesn’t sound like him too much at all on this track. However, more on the positive side, I can actually hear Mike Dirnt’s

bass for some of his fills on this song which is a nice touch. I did talk about the songs seeming to lack character in the previous track, and this song isn’t a complete exception to this but I do really like the little breakdown the band did towards the end of the song where Dirnt really takes the spotlight here – it’s a nice touch. These little variations and surprises in their arrangements really work in the band’s advantage and I only wish they would’ve done this more on this album, but they did fix this problem with their later works.

9. Rest – After hearing eight tracks which were all pretty energetic and basically raw throughout, Rest is quite a change of pace as it’s a lot slower of a track and just quite a bit more melodic. Although the song isn’t that great, it’s definitely nice to hear the band at least attempt a slower song and not try to just go aggressive from the start to the finish of this record. The song itself isn’t that great but it’s definitely a style that I’d like to hear on future albums, which thankfully they did do once in a while.

10. The Judge’s Daughter – Well Green Day is at least able to close a pretty decent record with a pretty good song. The Judge’s Daughter goes back to that raw punk sound that the band had the rest of the album, aside from the previous track, and the flow of this song works pretty nicely. Also, I just have to praise Armstrong’s guitar solo on this song - before I heard this song about a year ago I never knew he could actually solo like that if he wanted to, as to why he doesn’t is beyond me though. Anyway, the solo is definitely a nice touch to the song, for me in particular, and I just think the song works very nicely throughout. Definitely another one of my favorites from this album along with Going To Pasalacqua and Don’t Leave Me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142908814500731/k2311a0829/8.29.09