Heineken Brewery tour  » Travel  »
Stadhouderskade 78, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
  • Given that Heineken is my favourite beer, and I had missed a visit to the Heineken Brewery on my previous two visits to Amsterdam, this time I was determined to go
  • By this time we were thirsty, so we enjoyed our beer in this tasting room, which was full of tourists from all over the world

• by Jessie Bahrey

Given that Heineken is my favourite beer, and I had missed a visit to the Heineken Brewery on my previous two visits to Amsterdam, this time I was determined to go. On our second day in the city, we walked to the huge and old building, which was about a 10 minute walk from our hotel near Central Station, leaving early as we heard that it gets very busy. We entered at the front door and paid the 11 euro entrance fee, which gives you 2 free drinks, a self-guided tour (about 90 minutes long), and a souvenir beer glass

with the Heineken logo on it. We received a map with information on the four floors and numerous rooms, and set off on our tour. Even at 11am, it was very busy with tourists already.

We read that this brewery first opened in 1867 and we began to explore the entrance level. There is an exhibit of photos and advertisements of Heineken products over the years, a display of the list of international distributers of the beer, a gift shop, and a lounge or sitting area where you can enjoy one of your included drinks. We chose to go up to the next level first, (it wasn’t noon yet and even on vacation, we try to wait until noon for our first drink!). We saw a history of Heineken advertisements throughout the years, which was my favourite display, as well as a collection of sports memorabilia from sports stars sponsored by the company. On the next level was the original brewing room, with the original equipment, an exhibition of brewing innovations over the years, a display of the ingredients that go in the beer, photographs of the Heineken horses and photographs of the progression of the family business through the ...

• Heineken Brewery tour
      years. On the fourth and final level, there is more company information, a virtual journey where you can become a bottle of beer yourself and follow it through the process of brewing and bottling, and a tasting room. By this time we were thirsty, so we enjoyed our beer in this tasting room, which was full of tourists from all over the world.

While in Amsterdam, a visit to the Heineken Brewery is a must for all beer drinkers, but anyone interested in history and culture will enjoy this tour. Go early, as it gets very busy, and there are a

limited number of people allowed in at a time. The brewery is easy to see while you walk along the canals of the city, and it is easy to get to. It is about a 10 minute walk from Central Station, and it is such a landmark in the city that the tram station nearest to the entrance is actually called Heinekenplein. Trams # 16, 24 or 25 all stop here, all day long. The hours are: During the summer, it is open daily from 11am-7pm; September-May, it is open 10am-6pm every day except on Mondays, when it is closed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382908814100731/k2311a0829/8.29.09