Brasserie Le Macon  » Restaurants  »
Rue Vanderkindere 354, Brussels, Belgium
  • When we first walked in, we noticed right away that the locals, not the tourists, were dining here, so that was a good sign
  • The croquettes were the best I have ever tasted, very crunchy on the outside and flaky and delicious on the inside
  • My veal, which was served with little potato cakes and a gravy, was excellent, and my husband’s waterzooi, which turned out to be a seafood stew, and it was also delicious
  • I very much enjoyed our first night of Belgian food

• by Jessie Bahrey

While staying in Brussels, Belgium, we found the name and directions of a few restaurants which serve local Belgium food and we soon discovered that most of the traditional Belgium cuisine is a mix of French and Belgian, with some German thrown in. One highly recommended restaurant was called Brasserie Le Macon, which was about a 10 minute taxi ride from our hotel, so we decided to give it a try.

When we first walked in, we noticed right away that the locals, not the tourists, were dining here, so that was a good sign. The other thing we noticed

was that it is ultra-modern, hip and trendy-looking, with black walls, tables and chairs, lime green booths and décor, white lights hanging low over the tables, and very modern art on the walls. The restaurant seemed very full, so we worried if we would be able to get a table without a reservation, but we were seated in a cozy corner quickly. The staff all are dressed up, and energetic and very friendly, and speak many languages.

We ordered two local beers, and looked at the menu. I was relieved to see many Belgium dishes that I had read about, like ...

• croquettes, which I had discovered in Holland, and steak frites. I was also relieved that the prices were very reasonable, with the entrées priced between 9-18 euro. We ordered croquettes as starters, and I ordered a veal dish and my husband ordered a seafood waterzooi, which we had read about, and weren’t sure what it was. The croquettes were 5 euro, and our mains were 12 and 13 euro, very reasonable in upscale European restaurants. Although we were not sure what we had really ordered, the food on the tables around us looked and smelled wonderful.

We had very little

time to wait to try our food. The croquettes were the best I have ever tasted, very crunchy on the outside and flaky and delicious on the inside. My veal, which was served with little potato cakes and a gravy, was excellent, and my husband’s waterzooi, which turned out to be a seafood stew, and it was also delicious. The portions were large, and the food was filling and satisfying. I very much enjoyed our first night of Belgian food.

Brasserie Le Macon is a wonderful Belgian restaurant with great traditional food, reasonable prices, great customer service and an upscale, modern atmosphere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72908814090731/k2311a0829/8.29.09