Royal Ontario Museum  » Travel  »
100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • My favourite museum in Canada is the Royal Ontario Museum, and although I visited it years ago, I was looking forward to seeing it as an adult
  • I am a big fan of ancient Egypt, and the ROC has the best Egyptian display of any Canadian museum that I have visited
  • I decided I wanted the see the World History Galleries, and if time permitted, some of the Natural History Galleries
  • I particularly liked the Greece area, and I was impressed with the extensive collection of everything from coins, pottery, marble sculptures and jewelry
  • I saw some interesting animals that survived when the dinosaurs were wiped out, and are the ancestors of some of our modern-day animals

• by Jessie Bahrey

My favourite museum in Canada is the Royal Ontario Museum, and although I visited it years ago, I was looking forward to seeing it as an adult. Although I missed the ‘Dead Sea Scrolls’ exhibit by a few weeks, this most recent visit was enjoyable, educational and as usual, impressive. I am a big fan of ancient Egypt, and the ROC has the best Egyptian display of any Canadian museum that I have visited.

The brochure and map that you receive at the entrance are a must, and apparently there are over 6 million objects on display here. Like I always do if

I have a limited amount of time to spend, I prioritized what I wish to see. I decided I wanted the see the World History Galleries, and if time permitted, some of the Natural History Galleries. The first level of the World History Galleries includes ancient China, Middle East, and Japan exhibits. We then went to the third level of this area, and saw South Asia, Africa and Greece exhibits. I particularly liked the Greece area, and I was impressed with the extensive collection of everything from coins, pottery, marble sculptures and jewelry. There is a 4th level to this section, but ...

• we skipped it to see a bit of the Natural History area, located on the second floor. The bat cave was a neat exhibit, which is a re-created cave that you can walk into and through, with many spiders, bats and snakes (not real, of course!). We skipped the dinosaur area, as time was running out, and we managed to explore the Age of Mammals area-the skeletons and fossils of mammals from after the dinosaurs. I saw some interesting animals that survived when the dinosaurs were wiped out, and are the ancestors of some of our modern-day animals.

As with most museums, there

is a lot of information and items to see at the Royal Ontario Museum, so unless you have an unlimited amount of time, you should read the map and guide and decide what you must see.

Some useful information before you go:

Cameras are permitted.

Entrance fees: Adults $22, Students $19, Children 14 years and under $15, and group rates are available.

Hours: Monday-Thursday 10am-5:30pm, Friday 10am-9:30pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am-5:30pm.

Location: In the city centre; the main entrance is on Bloor Street, which is easy to get to via subway or bus. There are subway stops less than a block away and buses run all along Bloor Street.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382908814080731/k2311a0829/8.29.09