Telus Mobility  » Cellular services  »
2.0
  • Unfortunately, I cannot find anything good about my cellular service provider, Telus Mobility
  • It is easier to speak of the one, and in my opinion, only excellent feature of this company is that their network coverage is far better and farther-reaching than Rogers, Bell and Fido
  • First of all, their directory assistance (411) is a ridiculous experience
  • I avoid it at all costs, and use any other method to obtain a number or address, but there are times when I have to call

• by Jessie Bahrey

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything good about my cellular service provider, Telus Mobility. While in Canada, most of our cellular plans are all expensive and fairly similar when it comes to options, the customer service is particularly terrible at Telus. It is easier to speak of the one, and in my opinion, only excellent feature of this company is that their network coverage is far better and farther-reaching than Rogers, Bell and Fido. I have had all of these providers over the years and Telus has consistently excellent network coverage. But, the negative aspects are unfortunately many, and overshadow the good.

First of all, their directory assistance (411) is a ridiculous experience. I avoid it at all costs, and use any other method to obtain a number or address, but

there are times when I have to call. Let’s just say that not once, and I mean not on even one single occasion, has the voice recognition system been able to get the requested name even close to being correct. I always make sure there is no background noise when I call, and I speak slowly and clearly. I actually should begin to keep a list of what far-out names and companies they come up with, because in most cases, it isn’t even close to what I am asking for. If I don’t get fed up and hang up and manage to get a live person, which is usually next to impossible, it is always a non-English speaking person; these overseas workers have a tenuous grasp on the English ...

• language and it is a ‘formal’ form of the language and therefore they have no way to pick up on slang or colloquial names. They are only able to get the correct listing if you spend the time and effort to spell out the word and even then, it can be a hit-or-miss. I guess that is the price a company pays if it contracts this service off-shore.

The next negative feature is trying to get through the customer service telephone system to get to a live person for a question about your account. Generally, these people do speak English, but again, the voice recognition system is useless and to get to a person, it is time-consuming and frustrating. I would say that the voice recognition system does not work,

and the company should figure out something else.

Another frustrating aspect of Telus Mobility is all the hidden charges that appear on your bill that come as a bit of a shock. First, we all expect the taxes, but there is also a 911 access fee every month, and when you get a new phone, there is a ‘one-time’ charge of $25 to activate the new phone, but of course, it is not one time as most people go through a new phone every few years. When you are quoted a new plan, it is always about $7-10 less than what it actually ends up being.

All in all, the only thing I can say positive about Telus Mobility is the network coverage is very good. Everything else is poor.

Telus Mobility

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 222908814070731/k2311a0829/8.29.09