Eurail  » Railway  »
  • It is fast, convenient, inexpensive and can actually be a learning experience in and of itself
  • My first experience was traveling from Amsterdam to Paris
  • I was even impressed with the food and beverages available at the bar area

• by Jessie Bahrey

I had never heard about Eurail, Europe’s high speed train which travels through and between over 20 countries, before my first visit to Europe 6 years ago; now, I travel on it whenever I possibly can. It is fast, convenient, inexpensive and can actually be a learning experience in and of itself.

My first experience was traveling from Amsterdam to Paris. I had imagined a less-than-pleasant experience, waiting in long lineups, crowded trains and was generally unenthusiastic. We caught the local subway from Central Station in Amsterdam to the Eurail station, about 10 minutes, and we assumed that we would have to find a ticket centre, and endure long lineups. It was surprisingly simple-we didn’t even need to

go to a ticket store, all we had to do was use a ticket dispenser. As well, it was extremely inexpensive-for both of us to travel from The Netherlands to Paris was a total of 60 euro. To fly would have been triple that, and even to rent a car would have been significantly more. I still was not convinced that it would be fast or convenient, but I was willing to give it a try.

Our train came within minutes, and we boarded easily. The seats on our car were more like booths, with four-person compartments with a fold-down table between them. The storage for our luggage was adequate too, as we had huge packs. We took ...

• a seat and ended up having a great conversation with our seatmates, a couple from Tunisia. I was even impressed with the food and beverages available at the bar area. There were sandwiches and baking as well as snack food, and even alcoholic beverages. I was brutally hung over, so the food and water was welcome. As well, even though we were in the middle of a heat wave, the cars have air conditioning, so the experience was great. I was very surprised at the lack of stops the train made, about 2 in the Netherlands, 3 in Belgium and 3 in France before we got to Paris. We actually arrived in Paris, in the downtown area,
        in less than 3 hours! I was impressed. We got out at the central Paris station, and we were literally 2 blocks from our hotel. That convenience was great!

Since that time, we have traveled all over Europe in Eurail, and it is always a fast, comfortable and inexpensive experience. On my latest trip, we bought a regional pass for $169 US each, which allowed us unlimited use for 2 weeks! We saved hundreds of dollar and countless hours traveling this way. We’ve never had a bad experience, as ticket dispensers or ticket centres are literally everywhere, at every bus station, train station and airport. Definitely, if you want to get around in Europe, taking the Eurail is fast, inexpensive and convenient!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 442908814050731/k2311a0829/8.29.09