Courtyard by Marriot Ottawa  » Hotels  »
350 Dalhousie Street Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Although I worried about the noise, and the price was a bit steep at $165, I decided to book a room for the night I would be in town
  • I was happy to see that the room was clean, a decent size, and best of all, it had a duvet and fresh linens-no bedspread
  • There was no fridge (I found out later that room fridges are available upon request, so those of you staying more than one night might want to ask for one)
  • We immediately went out and walked the very few steps to the edge of the Market, and enjoyed window-shopping, and later eating and drinking, and returned later that night

• by Jessie Bahrey

On my first visit to Ottawa, Ontario, my friends had advised me to try to stay near the city’s famous Byward Market, where the restaurants, shops and bars were numerous and where there was always something going on. They also warned me that the hotels in this area were pricy because of the location, but I had a list of a few hotels that were within walking distance, and the first one I called was Courtyard by Marriot Ottawa. The women on the phone told me that the hotel was located literally overlooking the Market, and therefore everything was within walking distance. Although I worried about the noise, and the price was a bit steep at $165, I decided to book a room for the night I would be in town.

We had rented a

car at the airport, so we drove into downtown Ottawa, about 15 minutes from the airport, and found the Courtyard. It was an older-looking but clean, apartment-style building that really was on the edge of the Market. Inside, the lobby is older as well but very comfortable, with a fireplace and a small sitting area, a bar and lounge and a restaurant. The front desk employee was wonderfully accommodating, giving us a room facing the courtyard instead of the Market, which she said was quieter, and giving us a map of the Market. We went up to our room, and we saw that the room, as well as the common areas, are all very basic, clean, well-kept, with no luxury or frills.

I was happy to see that the room was clean, a decent ...

• size, and best of all, it had a duvet and fresh linens-no bedspread! The bathroom was dated but very clean and in good order. There was no fridge (I found out later that room fridges are available upon request, so those of you staying more than one night might want to ask for one). The view was of a quiet courtyard, and the bed felt very comfortable. We immediately went out and walked the very few steps to the edge of the Market, and enjoyed window-shopping, and later eating and drinking, and returned later that night. I had seen the fitness room and pool and hot tub area earlier, but didn’t have time to use them. This area is also older, but clean, if a bit small. We ended up sleeping very well, as
        our room was quiet.

The next morning, we left after checking out, because the breakfast buffet is not complimentary, which is one of the negative things about this hotel, but we had to catch a plane anyway.

So, summing up, the positive aspects of Courtyard by Marriot Ottawa are its central location, literally within walking distance to the city centre and on the edge of Byward Marker, its price, while high relative to other cities, is decent for this area, there is free internet, it is very clean and well-maintained, the staff is excellent, there is a restaurant and a bar on site, and there are laundry facilities available to guests. The negatives are that the breakfast is not complimentary, and judging from the other guests I heard, the rooms overlooking the Market can be very noisy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22908813960631/k2311a0829/8.29.09