Far and Away movie  » Movies  »
  • His character had some villainous undertones to it, but he wasn't an out and out murderer, so that was a surprise since I expected him to be

• by Orrymain

Though I tend to love a Ron Howard movie because it’s most always well crafted and told with respect as well as flair, I hadn’t yet watched Far and Away until a friend sent it to me a while ago. I actually watched it in pieces; couldn’t quite get through it in one sitting.

Far and Away stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, which is probably a

big reason why it took me so long to watch it. They were, of course, married to each other at the time and since the divorce is still something that seems odd, it was just a little weird watching them.

I’m not into boxing, and there is a lot of boxing, old style, with fists in this movie. It’s the heart of how Cruise’s character survives. I just don’t like that violence, including the blood and gore.

There is a love story here, but I was surprised at how sedate it is. There really isn’t much passion at all. It’s a more quiet tale of falling in love, which works for this story of Irish immigrants coming to America and ultimately participating in the Oklahoma Land Grab.

I have to say that ...

• Far and Away movie
      the big climax was ingenious. I absolutely love the way it was directed. Some might say it was over the top, but I laughed and thought it was a hoot.

Colm Meaney was superb, and Thomas Gibson did a good job, too. His character had some villainous undertones to it, but he wasn’t an out and out murderer, so that was a surprise since I

expected him to be.

The Irish scenery in the opening segments of this movie were awesome and took my breath away. What a lovely place it would have been to live around.

All in all, Far and Away is watchable. It’s a tad predictable, but Ron Howard’s team does an excellent job. We aren’t clobbered, either, with the romance between the lead characters, which ultimately is a good thing.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112708812180231/k2311a0827/8.27.09