Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr.  » People  »
  • I decided to write about him now because today (the time of this writing, August 21, 2009) marks his 26th death anniversary
  • I usually just take for granted the freedom I enjoy now

• by Collette

Benigno Aquino Jr. is my hero. The Filipinos fondly call him Ninoy. I decided to write about him now because today (the time of this writing, August 21, 2009) marks his 26th death anniversary. Through this humble piece, I hope to inspire all readers to follow after Ninoy’s patriotic ways, courage and brave spirit. 26 years ago today in August 21, 1983, Ninoy was assassinated.

He tried to go back to the Philippines from his 3-year exile in the United States to continue his fight against the ruling dictator (Ferdinand Marcos) at that time. But just as he was alighting from the plane at the Manila International Airport (now renamed as Ninoy Aquino International Airport in his memory), he met his death as gunshots were aimed to his head. And that was Ninoy’s ultimate act of martyrdom – that of dying for his fellow Filipinos. This final act of love for his country was not held in vain, as Filipinos were

roused to consciousness and followed his lead to topple the dictatorial rule of Marcos for 20 years through nonviolent means. I was only 6 years old when he was ruthlessly murdered.

But now that I’m older and able to fathom the gravity of his sacrifices, I am now more appreciative of the democracy my country is enjoying today because of what he started and fought for with his own blood. Ninoy is my hero in so many ways. My admiration for him runs deep. All the things he went through just to restore democracy in the Philippines are so beyond me. He made it all look so easy when in fact the last ten years he lived were very difficult.

No words could fully explain his ordeal. Seven years in prison, most of it in an isolated cell, is something that only a brave man like Ninoy, who is steadfast to his faith and belief, could overcome. In all these years,

• he stuck to his cause and remained undaunted. Those were seven years away from his beloved family. It is simply unimaginable.

Not to mention the humiliation he suffered during his incarceration. At one point, he was stripped naked of all his items of clothing. Perhaps this was one way for the administration to shatter his spirits. But Ninoy was so much more than that and refused to be crushed. After a while, he was given two pieces of underwear and two shirts which he alternated wearing every other day.

It is no secret that the Philippines holds record as one of the most corrupt in the world. There are many Filipinos who taint our reputation because of their misdeeds here and abroad. But despite all of this, Ninoy gave me and continues to give me hope in our country. Ninoy makes me believe in the innate goodness of my countrymen. He gives me reason to believe that we can all make

a difference in our lives, that we can all change what we see is wrong and unjust, for as long as we stand united in our cause.

I beam with pride just remembering today the things Ninoy did for me and my family. I usually just take for granted the freedom I enjoy now. There are no public curfews imposed. Freedom of speech is not curtailed. I can walk in the streets without fear.

All this is thanks to Ninoy. To this day, I’m happy that the Filipino youth is continuously inspired by Ninoy’s life. In every rally I see that seeks of political reforms, I see Ninoy in each of those who shoot up their hands in the air for nonviolent protests. For as long as these people continue to fight for good governance, Ninoy did not die in vain. He lives in each of us, and he makes me so proud of my roots.

I am a Filipino, and I can say it without shame.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522708810981231/k2311a0827/8.27.09