Solo Mobile  » Cellular services  »
1.5
  • All of this being said, I have also had experience with both the 'pay-as-you-go' method, as well as sitting locked into a contract
  • At the time it was called a Talk and Text - 35 , which meant that I had 2500 text messages, a handful of daytime minutes, free evenings and weekends, and I believe it was 15 free picture texts
  • I was happy for the first little while before I started to notice an increase in the charges for the voice mail and call display
  • After just a little while, I noticed that my service fee had gone up
  • I would not recommend Solo Mobile to any of my friends or acquaintances

• by Mleigh

I have had a cell phone since I was around fifteen years old, which is when I moved away from home. In that time, I have had cellular service with Rogers, Bell, Virgin, and Solo Mobile (please note that “Solo Mobile” is a child company of Bell, meant to compete with Rogers’ “Fido”). All of this being said, I have also had experience with both the ‘pay-as-you-go’ method, as well as sitting locked into a contract.

My biggest mistake was signing a three year contract with Solo Mobile. When I first went to the Solo Mobile kiosk, I was just comparing phone prices, contract prices, plans, et cetera. I had been to Fido and Bell, both of which had turned me off due to high prices, “fine print” catches, and sales pressure. Solo had seemed very inviting with little sales pressure, appealing plans, and great affordability. I was also informed that the customer service was all located in Canada, which was a pro in my eyes for the economy

and communication. I purchased the Motorola Krzr K1 (Krazer) at a discounted price, signed a three year contract with a nice associate, and went on my contented way.

Before I go any further, I should tell you the “deal” that I got. At the time it was called a “Talk and Text - 35″, which meant that I had 2500 text messages, a handful of daytime minutes, free evenings and weekends, and I believe it was 15 free picture texts. I added caller ID and voice mail for five bucks, bringing my grand total to forty dollars a month.

However, Solo Mobile had large connection fees, sitting at nearly $8.00 every month, as well as the typical 911 and information fees. By the time taxes were tacked on, my monthly bill was up around sixty to eighty dollars, depending on the long distance that I used (which ranged at about seventy cents per minute).

I was happy for the first little while before I started to notice an increase in ...

• the charges for the voice mail and call display. It had started out at five dollars, climbed to seven dollars, and then leapt up again to nine dollars, all within less than a year and a half. Unhappy about this, I called customer service who informed me that prices had indeed gone up, and that there was nothing to be done about it. In an act of revenge, I changed my plan down to something cheaper (which had less benefits, of course), and started to pay about sixty dollars a month regularly (including long distance). After just a little while, I noticed that my service fee had gone up. Again, I had my phone for less than a year and a half. Again, I lowered my plan to something cheaper, and now pay about forty-eight dollars a month.

Solo Mobile’s plans have also gone completely down the drain since I originally signed a deal with them. There is no regular cell phone package with Solo that is even

slightly comparable to that of other cell phone companies (meaning no favourite five, no free calls, no great promotions - just average ones). Solo Mobile will fail to inform you that if you are near the border between Canada and the U.S.A., the cell phone will decide to pick up a tower from the U.S., hence accruing tons of long distance charges that shouldn’t exist. Phones from Solo Mobile also don’t have a SIM card, so there is no such thing as roaming with Solo.

In the end, I have another year and a half with Solo Mobile, which makes me sad and angry with myself. Solo does not offer any value and is full of hidden fees and “fine print”. If I want to escape my contract with Solo, I could pay something near $500, which is ridiculously beyond my budget. I would not recommend Solo Mobile to any of my friends or acquaintances.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 222708810931231/k2311a0827/8.27.09