Sydney Taronga Park Zoo  » Entertainment  »
Bradley’s Head Road, Mosman, Sydney Australia
  • I always enjoy a trip to Taronga Park zoo and have enjoyed seeing it grow and improve over the past few years
  • The fun starts with getting there, taking a ferry from Circular Quay and then the option of the Sky Safari cable car, which I consider to be a must
  • The best advice I can give anyone planning a trip is to go early (the zoo opens at 9am), take a drink bottle, some sunscreen or at least a hat if it is summer and make sure you are wearing a watch
  • I like to sit down the front for the seals although of course I got splashed
  • I have been to the other zoos in Australia, Western Plains and Melbourne, which are both also very good, but considering how well Taronga is put together and right in the heart of Sydney it is definitely my favorite

• by karmageddon

I always enjoy a trip to Taronga Park zoo and have enjoyed seeing it grow and improve over the past few years.

The fun starts with getting there, taking a ferry from Circular Quay and then the option of the Sky Safari cable car, which I consider to be a must. The cable cars give a full aerial view of the zoo as well as the harbor. An added benefit is the zoo is built on a hill, so if you start at the bottom without getting the cable car you spend the day going up, but taking it you start at the top, the walk is easier and you end up back at the ferry when it is time to go home.

I always get a map which are free from the entrance and information stands and include the times that talks and

shows are on so you don’t miss out on anything.

The best advice I can give anyone planning a trip is to go early (the zoo opens at 9am), take a drink bottle, some sunscreen or at least a hat if it is summer and make sure you are wearing a watch. Of course you will also want to have a camera to get some great pictures.

To be at the enclosures during keeper talks is the best time because the animals know the keepers and that they are going to get food, so they come up very close. There are also animal encounters which for a donation to the zoo of $2 you get given some food and the best photo opportunity. I really loved feeding a carrot to the giraffes and got a great shot of one of them putting her head ...

• on my shoulder.

The bird and seal shows are both excellent and kids get really excited by the white owl that is just like Hedgwig from Harry Potter and does various tricks. I like to sit down the front for the seals although of course I got splashed.

The elephant enclosure is especially good with two elephants from Thailand and a beautiful environment for them. The Sun Bears, who are near the zoo cafe, were actually freed from captivity (you might notice they have the habit of swaying which is from years of being kept in a small boring cage) so I am always happy to see them and the trees and waterfall that they have as a home now. There is definitely no shortage of animals to see including a frog walk and reptile house where many species are endangered and would not

be seen anywhere else. The enclosures are very natural and especially the gorillas on the monkey trail are very active and sometimes interact with the visitors.

Food is a little more expensive at the zoo but not as bad as some tourist attractions I have been to and personally I don’t mind paying because the zoo does a lot for animal welfare and conservation. The souvenir stall has a good range of stuff starting from a couple of dollars and some unusual animal themed gifts and artworks that are a bit more but would be hard to find anywhere else - so a great way to remember the trip.

I have been to the other zoos in Australia, Western Plains and Melbourne, which are both also very good, but considering how well Taronga is put together and right in the heart of Sydney it is definitely my favorite.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592308809081231/k2311a0823/8.23.09