Cheesecake Café
7600 Macleod Trail South, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • I ordered a Rolo cheesecake (all the cheesecakes are $7.69), because Rolo is my favourite ice-cream, and my husband ordered blueberry banana
  • Our desserts came quickly, and we knew right away that these were not the frozen, pre-ordered ones-the cheesecake was amazing, and the blueberry and the banana in my husband’s cake were obviously fresh

• by Jessie Bahrey

I have driven by and heard about Cheesecake Café for years, and last week I finally had a chance to try it out. I had always thought of this chain as a dessert and coffee type of place, and I was surprised that there are also alcoholic beverages served as well, which for me makes it a little more attractive as a place to have dessert and an after-dinner drink. After dinner one hot night, we had a craving for air-conditioning and something sweet, so we drove a couple of blocks to Cheesecake Café.

The outside of the restaurant is not big, but it is very new and modern. Inside, it was cool and felt wonderful on a hot night, and we were

able to get a seat right away. Our server gave us two menus, a summer special menu and the regular menu. I saw right away that one of the summer specials was sangria, so we decided that would be a perfect, refreshing drink in the heat, so we each had a glass. We almost had the beer float, but I couldn’t imagine ice-cream and beer together. I was surprised to see that there are a lot of non-dessert items on the menu-everything from soups, salads and appetizers, as well as entrées like calzones, sandwiches, pasta, chicken, veal, steaks and hamburgers. In fact, I would say that the selection and variety is equal to any casual dining restaurant such as Moxie’s or Cactus ...

• Club. The prices are also as high, with the sandwiches, hamburgers and pastas well into the $13-$17 range, and the steaks and other mains up into the high $20 range. I was shocked that the dessert menu was so small compared to the lunch, brunch and dinner menu-and there is even a kid’s menu. I was obviously very mistaken to assume that this was a dessert place only. Anyway, we both had been craving cheesecake, and we decided that with any luck, it was really great here, given the name and all. Our choices for cheesecake sounded mouth-watering, and there are several types of cake and ice-cream treats as well. I ordered a Rolo cheesecake (all the cheesecakes are $7.69), because Rolo
        is my favourite ice-cream, and my husband ordered blueberry banana. By the way, there are some gluten-free items, for those with an allergy to gluten, and there are also a few choices of cakes to take home.

Our desserts came quickly, and we knew right away that these were not the frozen, pre-ordered ones-the cheesecake was amazing, and the blueberry and the banana in my husband’s cake were obviously fresh. My cheesecake had small Rolo pieces in it, as well as caramel and chocolate running throughout the cake. Both pieces of cake were very adequate, not huge but they were certainly not slivers. I am afraid that from now on, it will be very difficult to drive by Cheesecake Café without stopping in for a treat.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72108807951231/k2311a0821/8.21.09