Tallink Silja Line  » Cruises/Ferries  »
  • I recently had to go from Finland to Germany, and decided that the best way to go was via the Tallink Silja line ferry from Helsinki to Rostock
  • I was really impressed with the service on board
  • The one thing that I found quite annoying was that the little shop on board the ferry always seemed to be closed
  • The food was varied and delicious, and I liked that it included a delicious dessert of many different cakes and coffee, as well as a cheese plate or ice cream
  • If you don't mind not getting much sleep, the rest of the ferry is excellent, and I would definitely recommend it

• by karandash

I recently had to go from Finland to Germany, and decided that the best way to go was via the Tallink Silja line ferry from Helsinki to Rostock.

I was really impressed with the service on board. Not only did the staff speak Finnish and German, but they also spoke fluent English and Swedish, and I heard one woman also speaking Russian. Anytime I had a question, the staff was there to help. I felt that they really cared about their customers, and I felt

really safe on board the ferry. I liked that the ferry was very stable, and I never felt as if I was in danger of getting sea-sick!

The one thing that I found quite annoying was that the little shop on board the ferry always seemed to be closed. They did have posted hours and observed them faithfully, but they simply weren’t open that often.

I loved the food, and thought it was fantastic. When I reserved the ticket, I also bought a dinner buffet ticket,

• which gave me an early booking discount. The food was varied and delicious, and I liked that it included a delicious dessert of many different cakes and coffee, as well as a cheese plate or ice cream. Most of the time, however, I ate in the snack bar, and found the food quite passable. There is also a bar on board that was open most of the time and served cocktails, wine, cognac and the like.

Probably the aspect that I was most disappointed in was

the seat that I booked. The trip is 24 hours, and I couldn’t afford a cabin, so just took a seat. It was incredibly uncomfortable, despite the fact that it was extra wide and looked soft. I got so desperate to lie down that I decided to sleep on the floor at one point, but found it too cold and moved back to the seat.

If you don’t mind not getting much sleep, the rest of the ferry is excellent, and I would definitely recommend it!

webmaster says :

Avoid Tallink Silja Line Rostock-Helsinki carferry or at least take your own food and drink along as their food packages sold in advance are not worth a dime. Furthermore we, queued from midnight to 1 o`clock to finally get on board where no one was found to advice us. After having missed the first of the 4 package meals bought for 47 i.e. breakfast we were told that its our fault not to have phoned to the reception to inquire when breakfast ends and therefore no compensation entitlement existed. Lunch plain rotten canteene food. From the dinner only the shrimps were fresh the salmon already train oily. The breakfast the next day consisted of the cheapest available. The coffee invariably tasted of roasted grainded acrons and coffee surrogate. Sounds like we were on a quite different journey.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 42108807671131/k2311a0821/8.21.09