Ocean Park Hong Kong
Ocean Park, Abeerdeen, Hong Kong Island
  • The first and only time I went to this park was November of last year, when I decided to bring my son over to Hong Kong for a special birthday treat
  • We’ve both never been to Hong Kong, and had fears of getting lost in a strange place (like any first-timers would feel), so I availed the services of a tourist guide, which I paid in advance on top of the fare
  • However, my son and I went back to the hotel that evening a little disappointed coz the place wasn’t what we expected it to be
  • The place is so amazing, I felt like a little kid again
  • But my favourite, is the Atoll Reef, one of the world's largest aquariums, with 2,600 fish of 200 different species

• by patofgold23

If you want to treat your kids or the whole family to something new and spectacular, go to Ocean Park Hong Kong. The first and only time I went to this park was November of last year, when I decided to bring my son over to Hong Kong for a special birthday treat.

We’ve both never been to Hong Kong, and had fears of getting lost in a strange place (like any first-timers would feel), so I availed the services of a tourist guide, which I paid in advance on top of the fare. My main purpose of going to Hong Kong is to see Disneyland, as any kid’s dream is. So I made special instructions to the tour company to have the Disneyland visit be scheduled on the very first day of our 5 days and 4 nights visit.

Our itineraries were emailed to me in advance, the company was very professional and organized. I had it printed so I could show it to my son, so he would be looking forward more to our upcoming trip. Ocean Park was among the places we will visit, but I didn’t pay so much attention to it as the name of the place didn’t sound that great. Me and my son were both so excited to see Disneyland - - - besides, who wouldn’t be?

We boarded the plane as scheduled, and were picked up by the travel company at the airport. We were

taken to out hotels about dinner time, but instead of walking around to familiarize the establishments near the hotel we’re staying, I just took a map from the hotel lobby and brought it to our room to read on.

We were taken to Disneyland the next day. However, my son and I went back to the hotel that evening a little disappointed coz the place wasn’t what we expected it to be. We did have fun, alright, but there’s not so much about the place that makes it special. We have been to other theme parks in the past, and there’s nothing in this place we found extraordinary from the others.

On the next few days of our stay in Hong Kong, we were taken to many other places. Some were nice, some were so ordinary, and on our final day, we were told that we are going to Ocean Park. Oh yeah, I remembered the Ocean Park. I thought it will be some kiddie park with some fishes on it, and other sea animals, but okay, I paid for that visit in advance, and it’s part of our itinerary.

>From afar, the colourful Ocean Park balloon soaring in the sky caught my son’s attention. We parked in a little distance since they have rules regarding parking, and I could see the pack of people lining up outside. The place did look nice from there, and seeing all those people so eager to get ...

• inside, this must be a great place. We pre-booked out ticket. I paid HK$208 (US$27) for myself and HK$103 (US$13) for my son to the travel company in advance, so we already had our tickets when we got there. It didn’t take long for us to get inside, pick up park maps near the entrance, and discover the very huge park.

The place is so amazing, I felt like a little kid again! It is so huge and everywhere I look is just so breathtaking. Half of the park is perched high on a mountain overlooking the water and the other half is at the bottom of the mountain connected by cable cars. My son and I could hardly decide where to go first. We figured that we see everything we need to see on the lowland, take the cable ride to get us to the Headland, see everything that’s there as well, and then head for Tai Shue Wan Entrance where the tour bus will pick us up in the afternoon.

The views were spectacular and the temperature was perfect. Most of the sights in the Lowland are for kids but adults will enjoy them as well. The gardens are beautiful, as well as the butterfly exhibits. The other sights I enjoyed there were the Talking tree, the Birds Theatre, and the Dolphin University. Oh, I loved their boardwalk too. By far the biggest attraction there, I believe, is the Panda Bear

exhibit, and is up to now, the best maintained and presented display in the park.

The food wasn’t really great but my son and I were starving, so had a quick lunch at the McDonald’s. We waited in line for the cable car to take us to the Headlands. The 10 minute cable ride was so amazing. The view of Repulse Bay is magnificent. I was a little nervous but I couldn’t help moving around to take pictures of the view from atop. I just couldn’t miss that!

We got to the Headland and I realized how much bigger it is than the Lowland. The area is subdivided into several areas and attractions. The marine life section includes an artificial wave cove that is home to sea lions; an aquarium housing more than 1,000 jellyfish. Ocean Theatre features shows by talented dolphins, sea lions, and a killer whale. But my favourite, is the Atoll Reef, one of the world’s largest aquariums, with 2,600 fish of 200 different species. Thrill rides include a Ferris wheel, a roller coaster that turns upside down three times, a rather wet ride on a raging river.

The park is both entertaining and educational. I changed my camera batteries twice and used up the whole memory of my digital cam. One visit to Ocean Park is tons of unforgettable fun and adventure. I never thought it is Ocean Park that would make me enjoy most our trip to Hong Kong!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592008807110131/k2311a0820/8.20.09