Hug-A Bear-Express
www.hugabearexpress.com or 1-866-HUG-BEAR (in Alberta)
  • Flowers are boring and cliché, and I couldn’t think of anything that would cheer her up

• by Jessie Bahrey

I was looking around for a gift for a friend who was going through a rough time, and I drew a blank on ideas. Flowers are boring and cliché, and I couldn’t think of anything that would cheer her up. I then remembered that some years ago, my sister had sent my son a teddy-bear in a basket full of balloons when he was sick, so I asked her if she remembered the company name. She told me it was Hug-A Bear-Express, so I looked it up online and found it.

As a teddy-bear lover myself, I loved browsing through the website. You can shop by brand, (Gund, Russ, Douglas, Ty or Ganz), or type of animal,

like bears, cats, dogs and wild animals. This company delivers animals in baskets all over the world, and there is even a currency converter on the website. The selection of the bears is extensive, and although there are fewer options for the non-bear options, there is still a variety of unique animals like monkeys and horses. You can shop online, or call a toll-free number, which you can get from the website or from the local 411 directory for your city. Many of the animals come in a few different sizes, and the website is very user-friendly as far as finding the prices, because as soon as you select a size of animal, the price is ...

• on a drop-down menu. As far as shipping and handling is concerned, obviously the price will vary from city to city. I used the toll-free number to place my order, after I had shopped and picked out my bear online, and I was quoted a shipping and handling flat rate of $14.95, but my package was being sent within the province. Online, you are able to see the different rates which vary according to how fast you wish it to be sent, (regular, express or airmail), and shipping region, (within Canada or international). I ended up choosing a Gund bear named Timber, for $24.95. The reason I called was because I had a few more questions
        about the basket itself, and when I called, I was able to pick a few balloons with ‘Thinking of You’ wishes. The woman I spoke to on the phone was helpful, friendly and had great suggestions, and she was knowledgeable about the item options.

Sending a gift basket from Hug-a-Bear Express is a great alternative to sending flowers. The website is easy to use and the customer service over the phone is excellent. The selection of stuffed animals is excellent, and the prices for the basket and the shipping are reasonable, and even less than many flower companies offer. My friend loved her bear and basket, and I will be sending gifts from this company in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 461908804981031/k2311a0819/8.19.09