The University of Delaware  » Education  »
2.5
  • However, when I got in as a transfer student transferring from SUNY Stony Brook University, I found myself very disappointed with the school
  • The quality of the academics at the school was not the problem
  • I learned more than I ever learned in high school at this university
  • However, I think the students were all nerds in high school and didn't get to party enough

• by Valerie

I wanted to go to the University of Delaware more than anything when I was a senior in high school. It was almost as if I would have done anything to go there. I was rejected as a high school senior, as many students from my high school were. It was almost like an unattainable dream school. However, when I got in as a transfer student transferring from SUNY Stony Brook University, I found myself very disappointed with the school.

I realize now that my disappointment with the school was a result of the fact that I built the school up way too much in my own head. I expected a dream world. The quality of the academics at the school was not the problem. The

professors were all extraordinarily highly qualified. All of the professors that taught at the school seemed to have a degree from an ivy league school. It seemed almost as if that were a prerequisite to teach at the University of Delaware. I learned more than I ever learned in high school at this university. The professors at the University of Delaware truly challenged my mind in ways I never thought possible prior to attending. I actually became amazed with how difficult a school could be.

I began to think that maybe I didn’t get in as a high school senior for a reason. But I then hesitated to think this when I got my grades. I ended up getting straight A’s for the single semester I attended the University of ...

• Delaware. This is a most difficult accomplishment considering the advanced level of the classes.

I was disappointed mainly with the social aspects of the school. I expected there to be more clubs and social activities available. While there were a number of clubs and groups to join, no one seemed interested in them. At my previous school, Stony Brook University, I was a member of a pre law society called Phi Alpa Delta for example. While they claimed to have a chapter at the University of Delaware, the chapter was not active.

It was almost as if the students at the University of Delaware worked so hard in their classes that all they wanted to do on the weekends was party and party they did. Now I am all for

a fun party after a hard test or after my last final. However, I do not like to go to parties every night. Therefore, I felt as if I did not fit in at this school due simply to my lack of partying. I was more interested in joining a debate team or a good club while everyone else just wanted to party.

Don’t get me wrong, the University of Delaware is a great school. The classes are challenging and they offer so many different types of classes that are not offered anywhere else. Not to mention the astonishing competency of the professors and faculty. However, I think the students were all nerds in high school and didn’t get to party enough. This is why they are so interested in partying now.

The University of Delaware
    Leah says :

Do you regret transfering to the University of Delaware? I am a high school senior and absolutely loved the University of Delaware on my first visit. I followed up with the specific progam I am interested in and ended up getting a one on one tour and the opportunity to specak with the head of the animal studies department. It was also one of the most beautiful schools I had visited. It was fantastic until I got my rejection letter. I was accepted into SUNY New Paltz, the University of Vermont, Quinnipiac, and Geneseo. I have a feeling that the more I am thinking about Delaware, the more I am building the school up and the more transfering, after i start at New Paltz or UVM, seems like an option. I just need some direction.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501908804500931/k2311a0819/8.19.09