Rat Terrier  » Pets  »
  • I found him in a little pet shop near my home on Long Island, NY and fell in love immediately
  • Therefore, I can tell you from direct experience that both breeds are completely CRAZY, HYPER, and OUT OF CONTROL
  • If you live in a small apartment building, consider getting a less active dog that does not require the amount of space that rat terriers do

• by Valerie

When I got my rat terrier nearly fourteen years ago, the breed was virtually unheard of. I found him in a little pet shop near my home on Long Island, NY and fell in love immediately. I had originally wanted a Jack Russell Terrier, but surprisingly all of the breeders I spoke to turned me away from the breed, claiming they are too hyper.

Rat terriers are actually very similar to Jack Russell Terriers (or Parson Russell Terriers as they are now called). First off, the two breeds look almost identical. In fact, the only noticeable difference is color. Rat terriers are predominantly black and white while Jack Russell Terriers are mostly brown and white. They are very similar in size, they grow up to be between 15 and 20 pounds. The shape of their faces is very similar as well as the shape of their bodies.

The temperament between the two

breeds is almost identical (I should know because I now own one of each!). The rat terrier, Billy is the family dog and the Jack Russell Terrier, Holden is my own dog. Therefore, I can tell you from direct experience that both breeds are completely CRAZY, HYPER, and OUT OF CONTROL! If you are not looking for an extremely active dog, do not even think twice about getting a rat terrier. For the first four years of my rat terriers life he was completely out of control. Basically, they want to play all day long. And just when you think you tired them out, they are ready for another walk and another game of fetch and a few laps around the yard.

Another important aspect when it comes to rat terriers is space. If you live in a small apartment building, consider getting a less active dog that does not require the ...

• amount of space that rat terriers do. They need a great deal of space both inside and out to run around and play. A fenced in yard is key. A rat terrier that does not get the exercise he needs will be a very unhappy dog.

My rat terrier loves to play, but he loves to eat just as much. He is constantly begging for treats. This has helped me to teach him tricks, using small treats as rewards. My rat terrier now knows how to sit, lay down, fetch, roll over, shake paw and a myriad of other tricks. I can actually even play hide and seek with him.

Therefore, rat terriers are obviously very very smart dogs. If you want a dog that you can teach tricks to and show off to your friends, a rat terrier is a good choice. I am constantly amazed by the intelligence of my

rat terrier. He has a large vocabulary and can understand a number of words. Oddly enough, he can even understand some words when they are spelled out. For example, we began spelling out the word walk, w-a-l-k because our dog would go crazy just at the mention of the word itself. He soon caught on and understood that w-a-l-k meant walk and proceeded to go crazy whether we spelled it out or just said it.

Rat terriers do eventually calm down from their chaotic ways as they get older. My rat terrier began to calm down around age four but was not completely calm for another couple of years after that. If you have the patience, rat terriers are extremely fun, affectionate and playful dogs. However, if you do not have the time and space to play with and exercise your rat terrier PLEASE consider another breed, preferably one that is less active.

Rat Terrier

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291808803690231/k2311a0818/8.18.09