Donation Pickup Service from Purple Heart
Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation, 5380 South 13th Street Milwaukee WI 53221 Phone: (414) 281-4281

• by Bookwyrm

Every so often I get the urge to clean my closets and other rooms of the house, collecting items that I don’t want anymore but that are still in good shape. I pack them in boxes and bags, setting them aside. I know that the Purple Heart will call asking if I have anything to donate this month.

I like that the Purple Heart comes out to pick up my donation of clothing, shoes and other household items. I don’t have a car so finding a way to give stuff away without actually tossing it into the garbage can is difficult. Most places want you to bring it down to

where they are and I can’t do that. Some of the places are not even on the bus line or are in a totally different area. For example, I once saw a non-profit advertising on the printed McDonald’s tray paper asking for used clothing. I had jotted the number down and called them. They were a good distance away in South Milwaukee and not near any bus. But when I called them, they said they don’t do pick-ups and I have to bring the stuff to them. Worst, they were only open two hours a day as it was a volunteer run non-profit. And taking two small bags at a
      time on the bus to far away thrift stores would not be practical at all. It would take me forever and the bus fare would really add up fast.

I also like that they actually show up when they say they would. Last month I set some items out on my porch and by one in the afternoon in was all gone. They had been so silent I hadn’t even heard them taking the donation. Nor were they fussy, picking over items or saying they didn’t want this or that. They took everything I had set out for them, which was very good. I knew it had been them because they ...

• Donation Pickup Service from Purple Heart
      had left their card behind.

This truly is a great service they offer, as it keeps useful items out of trashcans. I don’t like tossing stuff out if someone else could use it. It’s better for the planet and the environment, too. And I know not everyone can afford to buy brand new stuff so it is a good way to help people.

I think it’s great that I can rely on the Purple Heart to pick stuff up, as then I don’t have to worry what I’m going to do with the stuff. It’s very worry free really. I know they call every month and that I can always call them. It’s also good to know that they are a responsible business and that they act responsibly, keeping their word. In my experience not all donation pick-up services do that. Many say they will come and then they don’t.

The downside is that they call every month asking if you have anything to donate. I suppose this might annoy a few people but I don’t mind. You can just tell them “not this month” and they accept that.

I think this service is of great value to people who don’t have cars and need a way to give stuff away. They will happily take it all and it won’t cost you a single dime.

Pat Bohach says :

Do you accept old televisions as donations?

nicholas nkhwazi says :

Yes they do take pretty much anything at purple heart. A television can definitely make a difference in any particular area of the charity

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251808803510231/k2311a0818/8.18.09