Registered Mail from USPS
  • I like Registered Mail because in all three cases the item I mailed showed up safely on the other end
  • I really never had a problem with it and that is very good
  • One thing I found a bit difficult about using Registered Mail is that you cannot use any packaging tape on your item
  • The three times I used it I thought it was and I am happy with the service, but I rarely use it

• by Bookwyrm

I have used Registered Mail about three times so far and I must say it is a good service. It allows you to mail something very securely anywhere in the world. It is a good thing to use when you want to make sure the item - a package or a letter - arrives safely on the other end. That means you need not worry about it getting stolen or lost along the route. If that is your major concern, then perhaps Registered Mail is your best choice.

I like Registered Mail because in all three cases the item I mailed showed up safely on the other end. I really never had a problem with it and that is very good. That is how it should be. It is very secure and once it is in

the hands of USPS it’s kept locked up. Mail carriers must sign for it and then they are responsible for its safety. Every step of the route, whether by plane or truck, it is logged into books and signed for.

I also like that it is relatively easy to use. I took my prepared item to the post office, told the person behind the counter I wanted to use Registered Mail and they gave me a form to fill out. Once I filled out the form with simple information, the USPS employee behind the counter did the rest. They put stamp marks on the package or envelope and that way they can tell if it’s been tampered with later, as the marks should line up perfectly with each other. These stamps go on the seam where ...

• the package closes and opens, so yes, tampering should be very evident.

One thing I found a bit difficult about using Registered Mail is that you cannot use any packaging tape on your item. You know, that smooth shiny plastic-like tape that almost everyone uses. You can’t use it because the USPS stamp marks won’t stick to that tape: it’ll wash right off. So you need to find a way to seal your package without it.

Other than that it works fine. USPS even gives you a number that you can tell the other person so they know the item is on its way. That is very helpful indeed.

The downside to using Registered Mail is that it can be very slow. All of that signing for and locking it away in safes slows the travel time down

a lot. So yes, you give up speed for security. Another downer is that the service can be quite expensive compared to other services from USPS. Expect to dish out some extra money when you purchase this. And also realize that USPS has no control over foreign mail services. The overseas mailman may just simply drop your Registered Mail item into the person’s mailbox without having them sign for it. They’re not supposed to do that but it could happen and it happened once to an item I mailed. Luckily the person received it OK.

So if the extra expense a good value? The three times I used it I thought it was and I am happy with the service, but I rarely use it. It would need to be a special case and that’s what those three times were.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251808803460231/k2311a0818/8.18.09