Media Mail from USPS
  • The price difference is very noticeable and I know it saves me a lot of money
  • I know that a lot of people may not like Media Mail and say it can take up to a month to get the item, but personally I never had that problem
  • And other times First Class Parcel may cost less so check that out too
  • I think Media Mail is a great value money wise as it is a low cost way to mail books and movies and can save you a lot of money

• by Bookwyrm

Media Mail is a great service from USPS (United States Postal Service) and one I have used many times. Over the years I must have mailed out over a hundred media mail items, some in boxes and some in bubble envelopes. It’s a very affordable way to mail books, DVDs, CDs and VHS tapes. These are all media items but I have mostly used it for books.

I really like that Media Mail allows me to mail heavy books at a lower price than other types of mail. The price difference is very noticeable and I know it saves me a lot of money. This is especially true now when USPS is raising rates every year. The savings really adds up! I know otherwise the weight of some books would force

them to go Priority (as anything over 13 ounces has to go Priority and not First Class) as they are heavy. And who would pay Priority for a book? Most people wouldn’t.

I also like that not one Media Mail item I have mailed out over the years has gotten lost. That is a very good track record! Of course, they all had Delivery Confirmation slips on them as well and that helped a lot.

I know that a lot of people may not like Media Mail and say it can take up to a month to get the item, but personally I never had that problem. Quite a few of my Media Mail items even got placed on air planes and showed up at the buyer’s house within a few ...

• days. That was on days when USPS had empty space on the planes and they get charged by the plane company if the area is full or not, so they’d rather fill it up if they can. Normally Media Mail travels across the country by truck so yes; it can take a few weeks to get to its destination.

It also helps when mailing Media Mail items if you are friendly with the post office employees. That way they get to trust you and they know you are mailing books or other media items. Otherwise some post office employees might want to open your package and to check if it really is a book inside. This is because there are many people who abuse Media Mail by mailing non-media items like

dishes, dolls or even clothes. Don’t do that! I’ve always gone to the same post office and know several of the behind the counter clerks there on a first name basis and they never checked my packages. Sometimes it’s also obvious when you’re mailing a book, especially if it’s in a bubble mailer.

Magazines cannot be shipped Media Mail as they contain advertising.

One of the downsides to Media Mail is that on occasion it can be very, very slow. And other times First Class Parcel may cost less so check that out too. Oh, and Media Mail is only available inside the USA.

I think Media Mail is a great value money wise as it is a low cost way to mail books and movies and can save you a lot of money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251808803450231/k2311a0818/8.18.09