Victor Mouse Traps  » Housewares  »
1.5
  • We were both greatly disappointed in their performance
  • I think this is why in most cases the wild mice could get away after stealing the bait

• by Bookwyrm

When some wild mice got into my mother’s house last winter we tried using these mousetraps made by Victor. They are the old-fashioned wooden variety and come two to a package. Years ago you could always rely on wooden traps but these performed very poorly indeed! We were both greatly disappointed in their performance.

I greatly disliked how the bait was stolen off the trap and the trap never sprung. This happened over and over and over again. The triggers on these traps simply don’t work right at all! So basically the mouse could feed right off the trigger mechanism and steal the bait and the trap just sat there.

This was off brand new traps, too. What good are they if they don’t actually work as they are supposed to? I would go look at the traps and find them all empty of bait and still set. That is just crazy. It was also very annoying, as I wanted to catch these wild mice that were causing lots of trouble.

I also disliked how I had to use needle and thread to physically attach a piece of popcorn to the trap in order to catch anything. I had tried everything else - different baits, arranging the traps in patterns, hiding the trap under a piece of plastic bag - ...

• nothing worked. The popcorn worked though and finally that actually triggered the mousetrap to snap. But one shouldn’t have to go to such lengths to get the trap to work right. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Setting the traps up this way was very slow and cumbersome but at least it worked.

I did test some of these traps. I would set them without bait and then pressed an object very lightly on the trigger. If I pressed lightly it did not snap. I actually had to put a lot of force on the trigger before it sprung the metal bow (the metal bar you pull backward). I think

this is why in most cases the wild mice could get away after stealing the bait.

These traps are just very poorly made and they really don’t work. I had purchased several packages of these traps from the hardware store and they all pretty much did the same thing. Maybe they were all defective or something.

The upside is that mousetraps of this nature are not poisonous and you could always do the popcorn thing I did. They work pretty well that way.

These are a waste of money unless by rare chance you get a good trap that actually works as it’s supposed to. Otherwise you better go buy some popcorn.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531808803440231/k2311a0818/8.18.09