Ohio Blue Tip Matches Kitchen Matches  » Other  »
1.0
  • I like to keep a box of wooden kitchen matches on hand in case the stove doesn't want to light
  • I was sure this would solve the problem so I could get supper cooking, but to my dismay these matches are not very good at all
  • OK, I know that sounds very stupid as surely even a little kid can light a match but there was something seriously wrong with these matches
  • That is really crazy, too, as I think the majority of people will rely on the matchbox's side to light the match
  • I don't think it's supposed to do that at all

• by Bookwyrm

I like to keep a box of wooden kitchen matches on hand in case the stove doesn’t want to light. It does this on rare occasion, generally after you wash it. Yes, you try to be careful but I guess sometimes the wrong thing gets wet. That happened today and so I pulled out my box of Ohio Blue Tip Matches. I was sure this would solve the problem so I could get supper cooking, but to my dismay these matches are not very good at all.

I disliked how hard it was to get the match to light. OK, I know that sounds very stupid as surely even a little kid can light a match but there was something seriously

wrong with these matches! I kept striking them on the side of the matchbox and most times I didn’t even get a spark. I ended up re-striking the same match over and over on the box until it snapped in half. Four matches broke in a row and out of those none of them actually lighted. Now that is what you call bad performance!

And I really dislike how the top of the matchbox loudly proclaims “Strike Anywhere” when that is obviously not true at all! I finally had to dig out a piece of sandpaper to get the match to light! Imagine that, sandpaper! The side of the box is just too smooth and it does not contain enough friction ...

• to light the match. That is really crazy, too, as I think the majority of people will rely on the matchbox’s side to light the match. The top of the box should read, “Strike anywhere but on the side of this matchbox” as that would be more truthful. And this is a new box, too, so that is not the problem.

These matches have blue tips and I noticed as I was striking them on the side of the box the blue stuff was rubbing off. I don’t think it’s supposed to do that at all. Under the blue there was white.

The matches have a strong match-like smell so I think they are pretty fresh, unless the box was

sitting a long time before I bought it. And I admit I don’t use matches very often. Well, I do use them when I light candles but otherwise I rarely use them. I would still expect them to perform better than this though.

The upside is that they light very fast when you scrape it against a very rough surface, like sandpaper. Don’t expect to rely on the scratcher on the side of the box though.

I think these matches are a waste of money as the box itself is poorly designed. If someone who went camping tried relying on these they would be in big trouble. Just for fun I tried scraping one across a rock and it did not light.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121808803430231/k2311a0818/8.18.09