Tempura recipe  » Recipes  »
  • The order can vary between $18-$25 for small portions, and could cost you about $50 to $75 if you want to serve it on parties depending on the quantity
  • In as much as I love the dish so much, I can’t afford to have it all the time
  • So I decided to learn how to cook perfect Tempuras instead
  • You do this by combining the water, egg, flour and salt, and stirring it five times (how I came up with the number of times of stirring --- through my experience)

• by patofgold23

When it comes to afternoon snacks, TV sessions, picnics, simple dinners, great parties, people would always wish Tempura is served. I don’t know what it is with this food that once you get one piece, you just can’t stop reaching out for more. It is just so good, and the smell is tempting, and more so, it would fit any occasion.

But let’s face it, Tempura is so expensive to order. The order can vary between $18-$25 for small portions, and could cost you about $50 to $75 if you want to serve it on parties depending on the quantity. In as much as I love the dish so much, I can’t afford to have it

all the time.

So I decided to learn how to cook perfect Tempuras instead. I asked my friend whose husband used to be a chef in a Japanese Restaurant, and told me he makes better Tempuras than those they serve to their guests. But of course, they serve their guests the Tempura their business owner wants them to serve. Little does the manager know that they could have made greater fortune if they had served the better Tempura.

When I tried the recipe myself, I was truly convinced how great his recipe was. But being a cook myself, and a food critic, I am still not satisfied in a way, and made a few innovations on the ...

• recipe. I finally came up with a mix of everything just right to make a great-tasting Tempura everyone would surely enjoy. Amazingly, the recipe I developed was much simpler and less complicated. But, tastes better!

To make a serving good for 4 people, for a simple family dinner, you need half a kilo of fresh shrimps, a cup of sifted all-purpose flour, a cup of water, 1 slightly beaten egg and ¼ teaspoon of salt. You have to shell the shrimps and slit the back to make it open in a butterfly fashion. Devein them and wash thoroughly. Dry them and set aside in a cool place. Prepare the batter in a bowl. You do this

by combining the water, egg, flour and salt, and stirring it five times (how I came up with the number of times of stirring — through my experience). Make sure the mixture is lumpy (not smooth). Dip the shrimps in the batter and deep fat fry. Now serve it how with the Tempura sauce.

If you don’t know how to make Tempura sauce, it is simple too. Just combine together the following: ½ cup hot water, a piece of bouillon cube, two tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of grated ginger, and two tablespoons of grated radish. That’s your sauce!

Try making it yourself, and you won’t have to order out for Tempura ever again!

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 491708803270931/k2311a0817/8.17.09