Windows Live Messenger  » Software  »
  • These are a few of the reasons why I prefer the much simpler but better Google Talk
  • This I suspect is just for advertising purposes, and another reason why I think I'm better off with Google

• by AzureSea

Windows Live Messenger (or MSN as it’s called by most people who were using this instant messenger prior to Microsoft’s name changing craze) is an instant messaging program developed by Microsoft. It’s one of my favorite IM services, although Google Talk is my number one preferred messenger. It’s got a great video chat feature, wonderful sleek design (very reminiscent of Windows Aero on Vista) and a great number of smilies and avatars to be used. You

can play games with your friends, use the status function to inform friends about what you’re doing, the “What I’m Listening To” function to tell your friends what kind of mood you’re in (hey, music=mood) and a whole lot more.

I find that they really need to slow down on the advertising however. One of the things that annoys me most about it is the constant advertising I see everywhere. The “Today” window serves to irritate ...

• more than inform me, the advertisements are everywhere, and what’s worse is that it’s already an improvement from a few years before.

Sometimes the loading time is ridiculously slow. Not only that, but the “log me in when Windows starts up” function doesn’t work about 75% of the time for me. When I log in to a different computer after making changes to something on the first computer (such as my avatar or my status) it

doesn’t show on the other computer. These are a few of the reasons why I prefer the much simpler but better Google Talk.

One of the great things that I’d like to mention about this messenger however is that you can log in with a Yahoo or Google Account and still use all the functions of Windows Live Messenger. This I suspect is just for advertising purposes, and another reason why I think I’m better off with Google.

Windows Live Messenger

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 301708803230931/k2311a0817/8.17.09