Gargoyles: Awakening  » TV  »
  • I believe that you can't judge a show a show by the first season

• by David Finniss

I believe that you can’t judge a show a show by the first season. Most shows usually need the first season to get the characters established and for the writers to find their footing. Great shows like Seinfeld and The Simpsons even needed two or three seasons before it really got going.

I had seen an episode or two of Gargoyles, but never really sat down to watch it. I finally had the oppurtunity to watch the

pilot (a five parter making it a Gargoyles movie as well)and good lord, this show is awesome.

Everything people say about this show is true. The writing is solid, the voice acting is top notch, and the characters are all fully fleshed out.

It’s sad that most modern animated shows aren’t of this high a caliber, heck this show beats out a lot of the live action shows that are currently on the air.

I’m just talking ...

• about the pilot remember. If what I said about shows needing a season to get things going, I really can’t wait to see what happens later.

It’s odd how the episode kind of wraps things up. Of course, Demona survives and of course Xanatos will weasel his way out of prison, but the end of the pilot seemingly leaves everything tied up. I’m also curious to see how things work now that they know Xanatos’ true nature.

Isn’t having their castle on top of his headquarters going to be a tad awkward? Maybe they seized the whole building, I shall have to find out.

Whether you’re young or old, you should check out this show. It really is a gem. It’s achieved a cult following but it needs more exposure. From what I’ve read they have only released a portion of the show on DVD. Hopefully, they release the remaining episodes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101708803070931/k2311a0817/8.17.09