Devil’s Coulee Dinosaur Heritage Museum  » Travel  »
300 Country Road, Warner, Alberta, Canada
  • Unfortunately, we were not in time for this, but it is on my list of things to do
  • We entered the museum, and saw that it is divided into two areas, the (more interesting) area that features the Hadrosaur fossils and eggs, as well as murals and other dinosaur fossils
  • I would also recommend going on the walking tour of the area, because you are not allowed to wander in this area on your own

• by Jessie Bahrey

I finally went to a place I had wanted to go for some time, Devil’s Coulee, in Warner, in southern Alberta near the US border. I had read about the area for some time, and its main claim to fame was that it had some fossil beds where many important dinosaur fossils have been found over the years. While it is not as famous as the Drumheller area, I was anxious to see what this site was all about.

We drove for about 40 minutes south of Lethbridge, until we could see the Milk River, and we followed the directions on a sign on the road. The building

that houses the Heritage Museum itself is small and non-descript, not like the huge Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller. We entered at the front door and paid the $10 per person fee (there are special rates for families or groups) and received a brochure to quickly get an idea of what this place was all about. According to this information, in 1987, a young local girl had found what she thought was a dinosaur egg shell, and had sent it to a scientist at the Tyrrell Museum for his examination. He immediately sent a team to this area, and soon found a complete nesting site of the ...

• Hadrosaur (duckbill) dinosaur, and so this area became an excavation site and a museum. We also read that there were 2 hour guided walking tours of the fossil beds along the river, every day in the summer at 10am and at 1pm. Unfortunately, we were not in time for this, but it is on my list of things to do.

We entered the museum, and saw that it is divided into two areas, the (more interesting) area that features the Hadrosaur fossils and eggs, as well as murals and other dinosaur fossils. I had never seen an actual dinosaur egg before, so this was fascinating for me. Less

interesting for me was the heritage gallery area, which has artifacts and archives from early settlers of this area. The entire museum is small by many standards, but it is well worth a visit just to see the eggs and baby dinosaur fossils. I would also recommend going on the walking tour of the area, because you are not allowed to wander in this area on your own.

Devil’s Coulee Dinosaur Heritage Museum is open from May to September from 9am-5pm daily. In May and June, it is closed on Tuesdays. The tours are twice daily during this time, and in the winter, the museum is open by appointment only.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381708802560831/k2311a0817/8.17.09