Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
  • I know that I said tested the band, but honestly I think that it tested more David Gilmour to step up and prove that he could fill in for Waters and still manage to write a good record
  • I know that Floyd hasn’t done an instrumental for quite a while actually, since Dark Side Of The Moon in fact, but to be honest the song really isn’t all that great or anything too special
  • One Slip – Although I’m not really a huge fan of the intro which is just filled with keyboards and synthesizers, I will say that I think Nick Mason’s percussion work has some interesting parts to it
  • The song continues in the very mellow and melodic mood that some of the previous tracks had, which I personally don’t mind, but unlike the other songs, I just found this one pretty boring
  • Nevertheless, still not that great of a track and the record could’ve been ended better in my opinion

• by Grimmy101

Overview – A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, Pink Floyd’s eleventh album and first without Roger Waters, tested the band to prove that they could make a good record even with the departure of their bassist, singer, and primary songwriter. I know that I said tested the band, but honestly I think that it tested more David Gilmour to step up and prove that he could fill in for Waters and still manage to write a good record. Although this album isn’t nearly as good as the work he did with Waters, it still could’ve been quite a bit worse. The only complaint I have is that since this album basically has one primary songwriter, Gilmour, it tends to have songs which have very similar feels to them whereas albums which had two songwriters, Gilmour and Waters, could vary since they had different inputs. Although most of the songs are actually still pretty good work, although there are a few on here which I don’t really care for, the album doesn’t touch some of Floyd’s previous work. However, the one constant aspect of this album is that Gilmour has excellent playing from stat to finish, but after listening to Pink Floyd records one might come to expect this from him.

The Tracks –

1. Signs Of Life (Instrumental) – Signs Of Life has a very eerie and almost robotic vibe to it, partly due to the synthesizers which are extremely prominent in this song and partly due to the robotic effect over the few spoken word sections. I know that Floyd hasn’t done an instrumental for quite a while actually, since Dark Side Of The Moon in fact, but to be honest the song really isn’t all that great or anything too special. I will say that the song is able to produce a good atmosphere and has the potential to be a good opening for the rest of the record,

but overall it’s not anything too great, it’s not bad though.

2. Learning To Fly – Learning To Fly is an extremely mellow track that I didn’t really think was too great at first, however after re-listening to the song I’m enjoying it quite a bit more than I originally did. Although the rhythm is very simple, Gilmour’s vocal melody is simple as well and just goes really well with the music under him, his very calm delivery is extremely fitting as well. All of these aspects work very well with each other to create a song with excellent flow and all the leads that Gilmour throws in throughout just makes me like the song more, good work here.

3. The Dogs Of War – Whereas the previous track was very mellow and melodic throughout, The Dogs Of War is dark and aggressive. I sort of have mixed feelings about this song, and I think I enjoyed this song more in the past, I’m not as big a fan of it now. Reusing the whole concept of “Dogs”, from Animals, isn’t really something that I think is that great of an idea since Roger Waters is no longer in Pink Floyd and the whole concept with Sheep, Dogs, and Pigs was basically his idea. The song still has a very cool section with both a guitar solo and then a saxophone solo but besides from this section, I sort of have mixed feelings towards the song. I’d say it’s average work for right now.

4. One Slip – Although I’m not really a huge fan of the intro which is just filled with keyboards and synthesizers, I will say that I think Nick Mason’s percussion work has some interesting parts to it. This song isn’t really mellow like Learning To Fly but also isn’t dark like The Dogs Of War, it’s sort of a fast paced melodic song. Personally I think a ...

• guitar solo on this track would’ve been a better thing to have rather than all the little breakdowns with bass and keyboards, but that’s just my opinion. Gilmour has another solid vocal delivery on this track, and the track works pretty well overall, good song.

5. On The Turning Away – On The Turning Away opens in sort of an interesting way for the first minute or so: it’s basically just Gilmour singing by himself so you really get a feel for what he sounds like. On The Turning Away continues with the very mellow and melodic feel that Learning To Fly had but I think Gilmour might sound even better on this song. Like the aforementioned track, this song also features an excellent solo by Gilmour which actually lasts over two minutes and basically finishes the track, and it really demonstrates his melodic work. The vocal sections are all very solid but this solo section is the really great part about this song, good work once again.

6. Yet Another Movie – To be honest, I really don’t like this track very much at all. The song continues in the very mellow and melodic mood that some of the previous tracks had, which I personally don’t mind, but unlike the other songs, I just found this one pretty boring. The rhythm of the song doesn’t really do anything for me, nor does Gilmour’s vocals, the only good part about this song that I can say that I really enjoyed is Gilmour’s guitar solo, but it just isn’t enough for me to justify saying that this track is good because it isn’t.

7. A New Machine (Part I) – A New Machine features Gilmour singing over some synthesizers with effects and distortion put on his voice to create a very different type of sound. The lyrics to the song are quite dark if you look at them and the effects on Gilmour’s

voice only match up with this mood. Not really a bad song, there isn’t much in it to review, but it’s not that great either.

8. Terminal Frost (Instrumental) – Well after hearing the opening instrumental which was pretty much dominated by synthesizers, it’s nice to hear some lead work by Gilmour done on this track to start off. Although Terminal Frost does have the same melodic feel to it that a lot of previous tracks do as well, the song has a great flow to it and the saxophones on this song are quite a nice touch. I don’t have too much to say about this song, it’s just very melodic throughout and features quite a bit of lead work from both Gilmour and two saxophone players.

9. A New Machine (Part II) – A New Machine Part II is basically the same as Part I as far as how it’s put together. The song is really just Gilmour with more effects on his voice singing over synthesizers. Also like Part I, it isn’t bad but there isn’t too much in it to properly judge, I’d sort of consider these filler since they don’t serve much of a purpose to the album, in my opinion.

10. Sorrow – Sorrow, as its name would suggest, has a very dark sound to it. Not really dark in the sense that The Dogs Of War had, but actually with a sad tone to it. Although the song does feature a very nice lead towards the end of it, once again this just isn’t really enough to save the track for me and to consider it a good song for the most part. It’s sort of like Yet Another Movie in the sense that it’s really only good part is Gilmour’s solo, but I’d say it’s just slightly better. Nevertheless, still not that great of a track and the record could’ve been ended better in my opinion.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141608802090431/k2311a0816/8.16.09