New Egg Customer Service Part 2  » Business  »
0.5
  • I thought that this was a good idea for a couple of reasons
  • My biggest reason is that I simply do not like to rule out any company based on one bad experience, and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt
  • It was not a lot and I decided not to complain about it, and just get the parts and move on before it all got messed up even worse and became another nightmare
  • The only good part of this is that my credit union was really great about the entire problem
  • Be that as it may, I still do not recommend their customer service staff as helpful or responsive on a timely manner if you do experience any problems

• by Reviewit

Since I had the $30 credit from my previous order fiasco described in my >New Egg Customer Service Part 1 review here at Reviewstream, I had decided that I would go ahead and give New Egg another chance to change my opinion of their terrible customer service. I thought that this was a good idea for a couple of reasons. I liked the idea of saving the additional $30 as a way to try to recoup part of my losses on the original order. I also needed some items that New Egg had on sale very inexpensively as a bundle. I felt like I could afford to give them a shot on this one, since the items were for upgrading a friend who was not in a big hurry. My biggest reason is that I simply do not like to rule out any company based on one bad experience, and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Every company and every person makes mistakes, so I was hoping that their poor customer service on the first order was an isolated event.

I selected the products I wanted, and called customer service. My order had to be manually input by a rep due to the credit. After several attempts to input the order, the rep did finally get it to go through as a valid order. When the order did get input, somehow applying the $30 credit messed up the bundle price and the coupon, and I ended up paying a little more than I should have. It was not a lot and I decided not to complain about it, and just get the parts and move on before it all got messed up even worse and became another nightmare.

They waited online while I attempted to submit a card payment twice, neither of which they claimed to have received. They then stated that they would manually authorize it, since their software seemed

to have trouble with communicating with my credit union, which is why they said they could not confirm my previous payments as having been received. I was told that this would not involve running my card again, and that they would apply a manual authorization to the first order I had placed causing it to go through. I did not know that this was possible, they never offered it as an option the first time. If it was, why did I have to jump through so many hoops on the first order? I again specifically asked if the payment procedure was going to cause problems with my charges before hanging up, and was assured it would not; just to wait a few minutes and check and it would all be fine.

I logged on to my bank later that afternoon to see if anything had happened, and then checked my email for any notices. I attempted to call them back as soon as I saw my emails and my bank balance, but could not reach the rep I had been dealing with. I sent an email to the rep expressing concern over the number of times my card had been ran and the amount I had been charged, and then went back to trying to call him.

In my email there were 5 attempt notices in my email box to charge my credit union card for this order that I had not initiated. I attempted to submit this twice, and twice only at their request; thinking that the information may have been entered wrong the first time. This was at 1:15. The notices all state that it will not keep attempting to re-charge my card. The first two occurred about the same time, at 1:15 (mine), and then more attempts at 1:40, 1:48, 3:32, and again at 3:35. All of these notices said “declined” on them. In spite of that, my available account balance kept going down on my bank website.

I got no reply from New Egg, and could not reach the rep on the phone. I attempted off and on to contact them, while regularly checking my bank balance and emails online. Before it was all said and done and I called my bank at 4pm on a Friday, I had $1152.00 being held due to four unsuccessful attempts, and had been charged $576 (twice). So an order that should have reduced my bank account by $288 instead took or tied up $1728 from my bank account!

The only good part of this is that my credit union was really great about the entire problem. They stated that they had already had similar problems with New Egg before, so they believed me; and that they would fix the double charge and release the held funds ASAP. In the meantime, they also stated that if any of my bills on autopay or any checks came in before the problems got cleared up, they would pay them without charging me an overdraft fee because they did not think the situation was my fault and I was a good customer. Had my bank not been awesome and done this, I would have had no money at all to live on that week until all of the holds cleared, and would have incurred a lot of fees and bounced checks. So thanks to my bank getting involved (I love WGE); the order payment finally got straightened out, and I awaited my products. They did arrive within a reasonable time frame this time, at least.

This is when I found the straw that permanently broke this camel’s back. One of the items from the original order (review #1) had been for the friend I placed this second order for. When I ordered the first customer’s order, I planned ahead and took advantage of a sale bundle they had going on, and had ordered Windows 64 bit ...

• New Egg Customer Service Part 2
      Vista for my friend in a bundle with the graphics card for that client’s build. I like doing this if I can when I have more than one build going on, because the two people can split the savings from buying product bundles they don’t qualify for on their own. When the first order came in, I used the parts I needed for that build, and set the Windows Software aside.

So when I received the rest of what I needed for the second order, I was ready to install the Windows software into the computer for my friend. If you have ever ordered OEM computer parts, you are aware that they often do not come in brightly colored retail packages with a ton of information on them. The windows software I ordered was no exception, it was in a plain white cardboard package. I opened it and inserted the disk into the computer, and only became aware when I tried to install the OS that they had sent me Windows Vista 32 bit, when I had ordered 64 bit. There was no way to have known this from the plain packaging until I opened it and tried to install it. Of course, then New Egg refused to exchange it even though they shipped the wrong software, because I had opened it and they will not exchange or refund opened software.

I ended up going through almost the exact same problem with New Egg that I had the first time. I am very glad that I had the assistance from my bank in clearing up the incorrect charges, and that I had not sent them a check the second time. This order was less hassle than the first, but it was still not a good experience in any way. I also ended up losing quite a bit of money on my second build because the first order was not shipped right. Windows Vista 32 bit has none

of the performance advantages of 64 bit, and it still has all of the issues of being Vista. I had to run out and buy a copy of 64 bit Windows Vista at retail price, and I am now stuck with a copy of the 32 bit software that nobody in their right mind wants.

New Egg does have a huge selection of quality products, and they do have great prices. That does not matter to me if I cannot get the products that I order, at the correct price, within a reasonable period of time. A good deal is not a good deal anymore when it ends up costing you money in the long run. If I continued to do business like this, I would be in debt. I have dealt with many computer parts companies, and I have never had these issues with any of the others. They are all more than content to accept my payments and charge me fairly. Many of them treat me very well and offer me discounts, and I buy a lot of products from them. I have decided that I will never have these problem again. If I don’t buy any products from New Egg; I won’t have to worry whether or not I can return what they send in error, or how many times I have paid for it.

PS- I will add that this billing issue seems to be a problem only for people that bank at Credit Unions, from what I understand. If that does not apply to you, then you will probably not have these same problems. Be that as it may, I still do not recommend their customer service staff as helpful or responsive on a timely manner if you do experience any problems. If my bank were located on Mars I could understand these issues, but it is a fairly large and very reputable credit union. My experiences with New Egg sucked egg.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411608800981031/k2311a0816/8.16.09