Circus World Baraboo, WI  » Entertainment  »
Baraboo, WI
  • The thing that impressed me about everything is you can get so close to it
  • What I found to be really neat though was how the performers in the circus also helped out behind the scenes
  • Of course, I also have to say, I don’t think there is any real way for Circus World to correct this problem
  • Overall though, I think this was a great experience and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun thing to do over the course of a day with their family
  • I know I fell in love with the circus again

• by Steve

I took my daughter to Circus World in Baraboo, WI a couple of days ago as a late birthday present for her. At the time, I figured it would be something that would be fun for her but wasn’t really looking forward to it myself. This is because I knew I would end up spending a great deal of money and money is a bit tight right now. But, I have to say it was worth every penny I spent. In fact, if I would have had any cash left when we were done, I probably would have ended up donating it.

This is apparently the 50th anniversary of Circus World in Baraboo (a town that was pretty much built around the Ringling Brothers Circus). I haven’t been there since I was my daughter’s age and didn’t know what to expect. But, it was a fantastic family trip. Most of the place is focused on the history of the circus.

You have a museum as you walk in and most of the original buildings have now been converted into museums themselves. The thing that impressed me about

everything is you can get so close to it. I have been to too many places that require you to stand at a great distance and you can’t see anything. But, even though they ask you not to touch and some things are behind glass, you can get as close as you want so you can see every detail.

This is especially true of the large wagon collection they have (at one point my wife and I were joking about taking a drink every time we saw a wagon because they were around every little corner). It was fascinating seeing so many wagons from so many places and time periods. It wasn’t as good as being hands on but it was pretty close. The same can be said about the Tiger Adventure and the actual circus.

We were just feet away from the tiger as the animal trainer showed us how he trains them (of course, I’m a bit curious about why they even have tigers there considering they aren’t in the circus itself) and, when we were attending the circus, we were almost in the ring ...

• with the performers. If that one elephant had fallen forward while balancing on that ball (which was really cool, by the way), it would have landed on us. What I found to be really neat though was how the performers in the circus also helped out behind the scenes. The animal trainer, for example, also was in charge of the elephant rides (which people could ride the actual performing animals for $5 each).

The acrobats in the beginning of the circus also helped out when it came to moving props for other acts. Of course, the thing that really impressed me about this trip was how friendly everyone was. Yes, it’s a family oriented place but that doesn’t necessarily mean the people running it are going to remember that. But, we had nothing but people smiling at us the entire time.

When we were at the circus, for example, one of the volunteers came up to our daughter and was talking to her and asking her if she was having a good time. The same thing happened at the gift shop (which was one of the more

affordable gift shops I have seen). The cashier asked my daughter about the circus and what she liked most about it. You just don’t see that at too many places today.

My only real complaint about the place is the parking. They really don’t have a whole lot of it near the attraction. OK, yes, they have on-street parking on Water Street. But, I really felt nervous parking on that street for some reason so I ended up parking a couple blocks away on 2nd St.

instead. Of course, I also have to say, I don’t think there is any real way for Circus World to correct this problem. They have the Baraboo River on one side and pretty limited space because of a hill on the other. The only way they could create more parking would be by tearing down one of the historic buildings and I really wouldn’t want them to do that.

Overall though, I think this was a great experience and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun thing to do over the course of a day with their family. I know I fell in love with the circus again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591508800421231/k2311a0815/8.15.09