Rice Bowl Chicken Flavored Rice Mix  » Food  »
  • At first, I thought it was maybe because my wife had a bit of an accident and burned some of the rice while cooking it on the stove
  • When I decided to have it, I figured we would have enough for dinner and not much else
  • In fact, I think there is still some rice left
  • So, even though I was slightly disappointed with this product last night, I do feel I definitely would buy this brand again

• by Steve

Last night, I did some grilling outside (we finally replaced our empty propane tank) and, wanting something to go with the chicken I was making that wasn’t potatoes, I picked out a box of Rice Bowl chicken flavored rice mix; which my wife was nice enough to make so I wasn’t running in and out of the house. I have had other rice from the Rice Bowl brand, mainly their beef flavored variety. And, I have been happy with the product. But, last night’s didn’t really live up to expectations.

The main reason I say that is, even though the box said chicken, the rice sure looked and tasted like beef. For one, the color was a dark brown. And,

when you ate the rice, it had more of a strong taste; like what you would have with red meat.

At first, I thought it was maybe because my wife had a bit of an accident and burned some of the rice while cooking it on the stove. However, the burned rice made up only a small portion of the entire side dish so that wasn’t the case. It might have aided it, but it wasn’t the only reason.

I actually believe they either screwed up and put a beef seasoning package in a chicken box or there isn’t much difference between the two varieties. That being said, this wasn’t an overly bad dish either. Even though it tasted like ...

• beef, the rice still had a great flavor to it.

I can’t tell you the number of times I have bought products like this that were overly salty. This had actual flavor to it. It was the wrong flavor but it still was pretty good.

I also can’t complain about the quantity. This is a discount brand that we picked up because of the affordable price. When I decided to have it, I figured we would have enough for dinner and not much else.

But, my wife and I each had seconds of this product and there were still plenty of leftovers in our fridge. In fact, I think there is still some rice left; even after each of us

had some of it with our lunch. The product was also very easy to make.

She had some issues because the spoon she was using started to melt (talk about a cheap spoon) which led to her burning the rice because she was busy making sure there wasn’t any melted plastic in the frying pan. But, even with that distraction, she was able to make this in about 10 minutes (it was done at about the same time the chicken was getting done on the grill). So, even though I was slightly disappointed with this product last night, I do feel I definitely would buy this brand again.

I just will be prepared to have either chicken or beef; depending on what surprise might actually be in the box.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271508800411231/k2311a0815/8.15.09