Recheks Food Pride Fresh Chicken Legs & Thighs  » Food  »
  • But, I think there was a reason why this was so cheap
  • I ended up making some of the chicken last night for dinner and found a couple other reasons to be disappointed with it
  • I believe in the old saying “beggars can’t be choosers” and won’t complain too much since the meat was pretty much free for us

• by Steve

My parents surprised us the other day by buying a bunch of meat from Recheks Food Pride here in town and giving us half of it (money has been a bit tight after having the baby and they wanted to make sure we had something in our freezer). One of the things they ended up buying were chicken legs and thighs from the meat section. The chicken was on sale and Recheks normally sells quality meat.

But, I think there was a reason why this was so cheap. I went over to their house to

help put the meat in freezer bags.

While bagging the pork chops and hamburger, my dad was cutting the chicken apart. At this point, he discovered a good portion of the meat wasn’t from a thigh or leg.

Instead, it looked like it was part of the chicken’s spine or something. So, while cutting it, we ended up with a ton of meat that had to be put to the side because it wasn’t attached to anything else.

This ended up being bagged as “soup meat” but it was a bit of a disappointment since ...

• we rarely make chicken soup and it was less meat that we could be putting on the grill. I ended up making some of the chicken last night for dinner and found a couple other reasons to be disappointed with it.

For one, it cooked up weird. Rather than getting a light brown color while cooking, it was turning almost gray.

I have never seen anything like that before and, while the meat tasted normal, I really had my doubts about how fresh it was. Like I mentioned before, the chicken tasted normal, but it

also turned out to be very fatty.

I would take a bite and would have to spit out a piece of fat I couldn’t chew. However, I guess I can live with that rather than having a piece of chicken that is nothing more than skin and bone.

I believe in the old saying “beggars can’t be choosers” and won’t complain too much since the meat was pretty much free for us. But, I do expect better quality from Recheks when it comes to their meat (it’s the only store I will buy meat from) so I was disappointed this time around.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271508800401231/k2311a0815/8.15.09