The Shops of Grand Avenue  » Shopping  »
275 W. Wisconsin Avenue Milwaukee WI 53203-3315 (414) 224-0655
  • I like how close the Grand Avenue Mall is to my home
  • In the center of the triple staircases is a statue of John Plankinton, a local Milwaukee businessman (from the meat industry I believe) from long ago

• by Bookwyrm

The Shops of Grand Avenue, more often called the Grand Avenue Mall, is a great place to shop. I visit the Grand Avenue Mall about once a week, often heading up to the third floor’s Grand Café (food court) for some fresh pizza or stopping off on the second floor for a sub sandwich from the Chocolate Factory. Other times I visit the wide variety of stores that the mall has to offer, ranging from Walgreen’s to shoe stores. I often stop off at the Mall before heading to the library or other places downtown. I also use it as a shortcut to reach Borders Books instead of walking on Wisconsin Avenue.

I like how close the Grand Avenue Mall is to my home. It’s just a short bus ride away and most times I can get there in about ten minutes. The Mall is located right in the heart of Downtown Milwaukee. It’s very close to major hotels (the Mall even shares a doorway with Courtyard at

Marriott), restaurants, museums, parks, local attractions and downtown businesses. Several bus routes also run past the Mall or close by, depending on which bus you want.

I also like the Information Center that is right near the main doorway to the Grand Avenue Mall. I can buy bus tickets there as well as pick up free papers on local attractions in my city. This is also where one can find information, like where a certain store is located in the mall or ask any questions you might have. Once I reported that the lady’s restroom was out of soap and the woman working behind the Information Center took care of it right away, calling someone on a walky-talky.

The Mall is always clean and orderly. The people who shop here are never rowdy; I’ve never seen people running, screaming or acting crazy. Mostly it’s business people in suits as well as locals out to enjoy themselves. The security is also very evident and I’ve seen the guards ...

• patrolling countless times. They are friendly and I’ve talked to them a few times, often remarking on how pretty the Plankinton Arcade is. They may look tough in their security outfits, but they are glad to stop and chat or answer questions.

Seeing the Plankinton Arcade is a big plus visiting the Grand Avenue Mall. It’s a historic building built in 1916 and it is very beautiful. It has graceful curving triple spiral staircases, a glass ceiling and big chandeliers dangling from chains plus soaring columns…trust me, it’s much better seeing it! In the center of the triple staircases is a statue of John Plankinton, a local Milwaukee businessman (from the meat industry I believe) from long ago. Plankinton Avenue is also named after him. Every time I visit the Mall I like to stop off to admire the beauty of the Arcade, whether it’s from the first floor near Peddler Jim’s Produce or from the second floor near the Chocolate Factory. The Plankinton Arcade holds the second

part of the Grand Avenue Mall and you walk through a short skywalk to reach it. Of course, the Mall has a lot of doors so you don’t have to go through the skywalk. The Arcade is a great place to relax and chat with friends while sitting at tables to enjoy a cold drink.

The Mall holds a variety of stores and restaurants. Some of them include: shoes, clothing, jewelry, stationary, chocolate & candy, video games, banks, home decorations, candles, make-up, vitamins, local souvenirs, art, foreign movies, phones and a few others I can’t recall at the moment. There are also a lot of restaurants and not all of them are on the third floor.

The Mall has both escalators and elevators. There are also old-fashioned stairs for those that prefer them. There are restrooms on each floor as well and they are well marked with signs. Skywalks connect the Mall to a variety of buildings, including a hotel, a parking place and Borders Books. The entire Mall is air-conditioned.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 241408799941131/k2311a0814/8.14.09