Call Of Duty: World At War  » Games  »
  • I can say that, while I have enjoyed its multiplayer aspects (both competitive and the immensely fun Nazi Zombies co op mode), I found the single player story mode incredibly immature
  • My experience with how the game plays, as in the controls, and the physics, has been nothing short of top notch
  • The controls stay true to the setup that has always been with the series, and I find this setup to be one of the best in all of gaming
  • Unfortunately, the single player mode has done nothing but leave a bad taste in my mouth
  • I found myself lamenting the characters, and wincing every time heavy metal music would start playing

• by RedEyedFacade

Call Of Duty: World At War is a good video game for what it’s worth, but it does come off as a bit distasteful in regards to how it glorifies war. I can say that, while I have enjoyed its multiplayer aspects (both competitive and the immensely fun Nazi Zombies co op mode), I found the single player story mode incredibly immature.

My experience with how the game plays, as in the controls, and the physics, has been nothing short of top notch. The

controls stay true to the setup that has always been with the series, and I find this setup to be one of the best in all of gaming. The cross hairs move where you want them to, when you want them to, without the slightest bit of controller lag. The movement is fluid, responsive, and never seems to get frustrating even after many hours of play. I really wish that more developers would follow this “simple is better” mantra when designing gameplay.

Of course, the main reason that anyone buys this kind of game is because of the multiplayer aspect. The competitive online multiplayer is top notch, and I rarely experience latency issues, or game crashing glitches. Things like these keep me from playing many other online games, and it is nice to see a game that has gotten it right. The cooperative Nazi Zombies mode is, by far, the most fun there is to be had in the game. Teaming up with three of my friends ...

• Call Of Duty: World At War
      to see how long we can survive hordes of zombies is truly the most fun I have had playing video games in a long time.

Unfortunately, the single player mode has done nothing but leave a bad taste in my mouth. With its excessive gore, gratuitous violence, and glorification of war, it seems to have completely ignored historical fact and instead opted to base its story on what war might be if it were a modern action movie. I found myself lamenting the characters,

and wincing every time heavy metal music would start playing. Clearly, the game was designed to appeal to the “macho masses”, and not to people looking for a “Saving Private Ryan” caliber war story. It is really quite sad how this happens so often.

All in all, Call Of Duty: World At War delivers on what people buy it for: the multiplayer. Even though the single player story mode lacks anything resembling taste, the fun you can have with your friends makes up for it, and then some.

Call Of Duty: World At War

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281408799190831/k2311a0814/8.14.09