Trevi Fountain  » Travel  »
Piazza di Trevi, Via del Tritone, Quirinale, Rome, Italy
  • I would recommend going to Trevi in the late afternoon, as we did

• by Jessie Bahrey

Somehow, when I set out walking from my hotel near Termini, in Rome, Italy, toward Trevi Fountain, I expected a fountain; of course, I expected a nice fountain, as this is such a famous landmark and tourist attraction, but a fountain, none-the-less. What I didn’t expect was the grand magnificence of this fountain, and the sound of the water that you can hear from a long distance away.

We only had to walk about 10 minutes from our hotel, through the ancient and bustling streets of the city, when I began to hear a gushing sound, like a waterfall. I didn’t know where Trevi was, so I didn’t realize that sound was the water in the fountain until we came up to it. I actually didn’t also realize

where we were because it wasn’t exactly ‘just a fountain. My husband told me that we were here, and I stood at the edge concrete step that led down to the fountain. But although the fountain itself was so much bigger than I expected, I had not understood how huge and awe-inspiring the palace was that is in the background of the fountain, full of intricately carved marble statues, with the largest of these being Neptune in a horse-pulled chariot. This palace, which you cannot go inside, is more like a cathedral or a museum than the background of a fountain. So when people call it ‘Trevi Fountain’ I now want to say that it is so much more than a fountain.

From the top of the ...

• concrete stairs, you can get a good panoramic shot of the fountain with the palace in the background. In fact, Trevi is so big (85 feet high), that this is really the only way to get a picture of the full view. I know, because I tried. Crowds of tourists are always standing all over the step, and even more crowds are at the bottom of the steps, at the edge of the fountain. You have to be patient to get to the edge of the fountain and throw in your coins, as is the tradition, and get that iconic photo. Legend has it that if you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain, you will return to Rome someday. I hope I do.

I would

recommend going to Trevi in the late afternoon, as we did. The area around Trevi is full of great restaurants and sidewalk cafés and bars, and is great for people-watching. If you have drinks and dinner near the fountain, as we did, you can then walk home after dark, when the fountain is lit up and casts beautiful light into the water and the surrounding area. These night shots make great photos.

There is no fee for Trevi Fountain, and it is easy to get to in the city centre. From Termini, it is about a 15 minute walk. From the Spanish Steps or the Colosseum area, it is 10 minutes, and there is a bus stop that is less than a block away, at Via del Tritone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381308797791031/k2311a0813/8.13.09